Talk at me folks: How do I build a decent base?

Started by Jessi, April 11, 2016, 10:13:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jessi

I always end up having a crappy looking square that everything goes inside, and while it works because I put turrets fucking everywhere, I'd love to make a Civ 5 Citadel style base or something that allows me to cover effectively to combat enemies. I'd utilise a killbox if I could incorporate it into how I build. I plan for long-term as I don't want to build a spaceship and leave planet, so I always build extra rooms and shite.
A curious little creature...

jaeden25

Generally when I build a colony I won't plan where anything goes, if I need something I'll just build it wherever and not worry about efficiency, I will also never make 2 rooms that look the same.

For mountain colonies I just dig randomly and find ore, the holes and passages that are left I will just leave and fill with stuff.

Following these 2 rules every base I build looks totally different.

skullywag

dont make squares is the best advice I can give, even if its having a little bit jutting out, L shaped buildings add so much to what would be another square block. If hollowing a mountain follow the contours of the edge for a more natural look. Dont be afraid of curves in a cell/grid based game.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Limdood

for mountain bases, you have 1 entrance...make the most of it. 

Dining Room: near entrance, near freezer
Crafting room: near materials stockpiles
Freezer: near hydroponics, dining room, prison
Prison: near a freezer, FAR from weapons
Materials: near crafting stations
Weapons/armor: near crafting, away from prison
Bedrooms: near dining room/freezer
Hallways: Use to keep bedrooms from connecting to each other (disturbed sleep).  2-3 squares wide for easier fighting (bugs, even if no raiders get that far). 

Heating/cooling:  for quite cold or quite hot biomes, put heaters/coolers in hallways and in large rooms near the entrance.  Keep bedroom doors held open, keep kitchen doors (except freezer) open.  This lets the heat in those rooms bleed into other rooms...warmed hallways will warm open door bedrooms without using a vent (my 20 room mountain base stays 50-70F even thru -35F winters with only 8 heaters (2 in dining room, 2 in each winding hallway off the dining room, 1 in the prison, 1 in hydroponics).

I use square rooms, but not always a square base layout...usually rectangular or L or O shaped (using the unused L corner or center of O for farming in a flat base)

falconbunker

I either just make a mountain base with a crop growing power generation and security area outside the mountain,or nestle myself inside a natural choke point and just randomly build, usually works out for me

Klitri

Sprawl your rooms out in random ways that add flavour to your colony, don't line everything up, it may bother many people including myself for a little bit but you eventually grow to like it!