More Things for artists to do might be nice.

Started by Barley, April 15, 2016, 07:29:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barley

The art on tables and chairs comes from elite constructors.
The art on weapons and armor comes from elite crafters.
This means the only art an artist can produce is sculptures.

It would be nice if they could do other things. Engrave walls, paint pictures (presumably using leather or cotton), maybe even play music for a mood bonus for everyone within earshot (This could also let you buy, trade, or make pianos and other instruments).

Just something other than the endless sculpting.

Rahjital

Music would be great. Playing music at parties for an additional mood or joy boost, and instruments could also double as joy items for colonists to play in their free time.

skullywag

I would love a guitar stand joy building that only artists use, anyone in the same room as it gets a mood boost (or a drop if they hate music) could also have Alistair Lindsay throw out a few sweet guitar riffs for use (could even have him do some bad ones for terrible artists lol)
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

keylocke

+1 on music.

that would be awesome.

i would also like to hear pawns speak.. (it doesn't have to be actual words. just some soundbite to indicate if they're sad or angry or happy or something)

Mikhail Reign

Quote from: skullywag on April 15, 2016, 07:54:02 AM
I would love a guitar stand joy building that only artists use, anyone in the same room as it gets a mood boost (or a drop if they hate music) could also have Alistair Lindsay throw out a few sweet guitar riffs for use (could even have him do some bad ones for terrible artists lol)

I would love guitars to be a crafted item (along with maybe some other instruments) that could be equipped as a weapon (with slots as they currently are - additional carry etc is another topic) similar to how a beer bottle, or a wood plank can me. Colonists with high art and instruments would occasional play during joy time providing a buff for them selves, and depending on their art lv, a buff AoE. Maybe a item similar to the marriage/party box that designates where they would play (or they could practice in their room) so you could have a 'stage'. Multiple music buffs would stack - so bands (as long as they were good, and everyone liked music) would be an awesome way to keep the joy levels up for a small amount of resources.

something776

Yeah, music I think would be the best way to expand artists' usefulness, plus it would be cool to have things like pianos and other instruments.  Maybe even a set piece that could be crafted, the player piano, that could be turned off and on and give that saloon sort of feel.

As you get more tech levels you could get different kinds of instruments and equipment, like microphones, or electric guitars and you could hook that up to some sort of speaker system to broadcast it throughout your base.  Like elevator music for your colonists.

Aarkreinsil

How about fleshing out the party system? Have an artist set up parties or events like a comedy night or stage play. That way they could set up events, and had to work out the plans for the event first.

So for example you set down a party spot and can pick bills from a list, like "Schedule comedy event" And then you get your best artist to write some jokes. When he's done, he'll start an event. Of course the quality of his/her work would affect the mood and relationship change of everyone that attended.

mumblemumble

I love the idea of entertainers... Would make high art people a little less useless if they could provide a mood buff.
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

Aarkreinsil

Quote from: mumblemumble on April 16, 2016, 06:33:04 PM
I love the idea of entertainers... Would make high art people a little less useless if they could provide a mood buff.

I mean even cooking or building could be considered art. High quality, ultra-comfortable and actually beautiful furniture is currently even more useful than sculptures, since good furniture not only increases beauty but gives a comfort mood boost and even increases the rest and immunity effectivity of beds.
A cook can cook faster and get more food from butchering.

It's just that art isn't just underpowered, it's such a broad topic that it could and should encompass way more than just making sculptures.