Can I change "Fall" to "Autumn"?

Started by MeGrrrr, April 08, 2016, 01:35:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

harpo99999

Quote from: Mikhail Reign on May 12, 2016, 01:06:03 AM
Quote from: Tynan on May 11, 2016, 08:15:46 PM
You could even make a translation for British English if you want. The translation system would totally support it.

Though I'm sorry the default English language uses the Union Jack :p It didn't seem right to use an American flag, especially considering I talk like this and I'm not American.

I'm Australian and I don't spell like a yank :P. Def should use the American flag if it uses the wrong American English spellings.

Would very much like an English translation tho.
as ANOTHER aussie, I get somewhat MIFFED at the YANKlish posing as ENGlish (the degree of miffed is somewhat similar to that that the japs caused in the second world war when they bombed darwin, after that (with some help from said yanks) we pushed the japs (who had more troops and a far larger population to draw troops and manufacture capacity from) back to the islands they started out from WHILE also fighting in the european theatre

chchgreen

fall gets to me too. also tuque, ive never heard a beanie called that before, good old regional slang

Tynan

Quote from: chchgreen on May 29, 2016, 11:23:42 PM
fall gets to me too. also tuque, ive never heard a beanie called that before, good old regional slang

A beanie isn't a tuque.

A beanie is a thin little thing hipsters wear for 'fashion' purposes during summer in NYC.

A tuque is a thick hat you can pull far down to stop your ears from freezing off during Canadian winter.

At least, having lived in Canada and the US, this is how my mind organizes it.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Nitro1248

Quote from: Tynan on May 30, 2016, 02:48:16 AM

A beanie isn't a tuque.

A beanie is a thin little thing hipsters wear for 'fashion' purposes during summer in NYC.

A tuque is a thick hat you can pull far down to stop your ears from freezing off during Canadian winter.

Hey Tynan....

TTTTTTEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Make TTTTTTEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAA

chchgreen

A beanie isn't a tuque.

well, when you put it like that. i had just never heard that word before, ive had just heard of beanies, or wooley hat lol.
it doesnt get cold here in new zealand like it does in north america, a couple of inches of snow and everything grinds to a halt.

im pretty happy that i can use celcius for temperature, i cant heads nor tails of fahrenheit, so cheers for giving us that option bro!

Tynan

Quote from: chchgreen on May 30, 2016, 08:22:38 PM

A beanie isn't a tuque.

im pretty happy that i can use celcius for temperature, i cant heads nor tails of fahrenheit, so cheers for giving us that option bro!

I use Celsius at home (as does the whole world outside the US) - it was actually the Americans I have the option to when I added Fahrenheit :D
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Thane

What's so bad about the old English (Now US) system?

Water boils at 212 degrees and freezes at 32, there are 5280 feet in a mile, the foot is divided up into 12 inches, liquids come in gallons which are divided into 4 quarts, each quart has 2 pints, each pint has 2 cups, each cup has 8 ounces, a pound is made of 16 ounces, by weight, of water, but this means that an ounce by weight is not necessarily an ounce by volume......

Help me. Bring the metric system quick.
It is regular practice to install peg legs and dentures on anyone you don't like around here. Think about that.

Wex

Quote from: Thane on May 31, 2016, 12:43:40 PM
What's so bad about the old English (Now US) system?
I know another one:
In metric, one millilitre of water occupies one cubic centimetre, weighs one gram and requires one calorie of energy to heat up by one degree centigrade (Celsius); wich is exactly the 1% of the difference between its freezing and its boiling point.
In the american system the question: "How much energy does it takes to boil a square foot of ice and how many gallons of water are made?" is terrifying.
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
    Harlan Ellison