Social Activities

Started by J-Mac, February 18, 2014, 02:50:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J-Mac

I would like to see some content focused on social interaction.  Would be nice if they did more than work all day.

1. Bar or pub materials to build a hangout room
2. Gym to keep your peeps fit
3. Restaurant for grabbing better food, maybe from hydroponics?
4. Movie room so they could pop in and see a show

OobleckTheGreen

Quote from: J-Mac on February 18, 2014, 02:50:30 PM
I would like to see some content focused on social interaction.  Would be nice if they did more than work all day.

1. Bar or pub materials to build a hangout room
2. Gym to keep your peeps fit
3. Restaurant for grabbing better food, maybe from hydroponics?
4. Movie room so they could pop in and see a show

The first 3 seem like really good ideas. The 4th is interesting, but to make it work there would have to be a mechanic that allowed the purchase of projection tech and films from passing ships.

Coenmcj

The 4th option could lead into all manners of spin offs and other things. But social conventions could be rather interesting, having your friendly coreworlder trying to hit up a conversation with a xenophobic medieval worlder would be funny to see, could also lead to random fights between the various colonists and could also have adverse effects on that of the colony during events.
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

monkhouse

I'm sure there's room for innovation, but I always thought the way DF handled parties was very elegant: you just designate a 'meeting space', then characters will either go there solo when they need relaxation or occasionally organize a party and draw others in. While in the room, everyone just interacts with whatever is there - chat to other people, admire art, play with animals, eat/drink etc. Simple, powerful, does the job.

So at any one time you might have a pair of miners shooting hoops outside while your introvert doctor reads alone in the library and your alcoholic lead researcher gets into an argument with the off-duty squaddies in the makeshift bar, etc and so on, with activity choice weighted by personality traits.

colonistPally

There definitely needs to be a dance club, so all my little colos can "boogie on down." :)

TronPrime1

Tynan Confirmed the first suggestion on this thread: http://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=2074.0

Well, he didn't confirm it specifically, he stated that all of the things on the thread (except two) were going to be in Alpha 2. 

colonistPally

I think the most important question really is, what kind of dance would the colonists do? I keep imaging them square dancing. :) AWwwwww. <3 :D