How to trash things?

Started by ahowe42, August 14, 2016, 04:43:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ahowe42

Frequently, when my settlement is raided, and I kill the invaders, their weapons are not worth looting.  Hence, I don't really want to tell someone to pick them up and put them in my storage area.  But then, these trash items just sit around, because I can't find anyway to tell someone to pick them up and haul them to the dump.  Of course, this then makes the environment "ugly" and the colonists unhappy.

How can I fix this?

ahowe42

Quote from: Canute on August 14, 2016, 06:16:10 AM
Appearels you can burn at the furnace and weapons you can smelt at the electric smelter.
You can setup an dump/storage area outside, low priority for all the damaged or low quality items you don't want in the colony.
You can setup what quality that get stored at the sliders on top of the stockpile seting.

And inside your colony a storage area with you only store the good things.

Thanks for the advice.  A few questions:

• I have not seen anywhere to set properties on storage areas, other than size.  How do I do this?
    Smelter?  Furnace?  I do not have these as options.

Andrew

chaotix14

Quote from: ahowe42 on August 14, 2016, 06:31:24 AMThanks for the advice.  A few questions:

• I have not seen anywhere to set properties on storage areas, other than size.  How do I do this?

Andrew

Click on the stockpile once you've made it, you can set what should go in the stockpile, set quality/damage percentage restrictions and whether something should go into this stockpile before another(at which point stuff will also be hauled from the lower priority stockpile to the higher priority one).

The smelter and the furnace he is talking about are probably a bit ahead of where you are, they need to be unlocked via research. Fortunately if you really want something gone like weapons or clothing, putting it in an area with no roof will slowly destroy the object until it vanishes(requires the item to have a deterioration rate though, you can check whether it has or not by clicking the little i next to the items name). Or you can make your own improvised furnace by making a small roofed area with stone pillars and flooring(make sure nothing else flammable is nearby or you might start a wildfire, also you might want to de-home zone the area where you plan to put your trash) then loading your unwanted trash in the area via a stockpile. Then simply chuck a few molotovs into the trash pile and watch it burn.

ahowe42

Quote from: chaotix14 on August 14, 2016, 08:46:07 AM
Quote from: ahowe42 on August 14, 2016, 06:31:24 AMThanks for the advice.  A few questions:

Andrew

Click on the stockpile once you've made it, you can set what should go in the stockpile, set quality/damage percentage restrictions and whether something should go into this stockpile before another(at which point stuff will also be hauled from the lower priority stockpile to the higher priority one).

The smelter and the furnace he is talking about are probably a bit ahead of where you are, they need to be unlocked via research. Fortunately if you really want something gone like weapons or clothing, putting it in an area with no roof will slowly destroy the object until it vanishes(requires the item to have a deterioration rate though, you can check whether it has or not by clicking the little i next to the items name). Or you can make your own improvised furnace by making a small roofed area with stone pillars and flooring(make sure nothing else flammable is nearby or you might start a wildfire, also you might want to de-home zone the area where you plan to put your trash) then loading your unwanted trash in the area via a stockpile. Then simply chuck a few molotovs into the trash pile and watch it burn.

Thank you very much - this is useful.  I figured out just by playing on the quality & types of items how to do what I wanted.  I just put a "garbage dump" stockpile further from my home for the crap I don't need.

On a related note, I can only get molotovs if I last long enough to loot them from raiders I kill.  This is after hours and hours of play.  My biggest bane is mad animals or "revenge" animals.  As you know, these are unavoidable.  How is it that people are playing long enough to research things like molotovs, etc...?

chaotix14

Quote from: ahowe42 on August 15, 2016, 12:51:23 AM
Thank you very much - this is useful.  I figured out just by playing on the quality & types of items how to do what I wanted.  I just put a "garbage dump" stockpile further from my home for the crap I don't need.

On a related note, I can only get molotovs if I last long enough to loot them from raiders I kill.  This is after hours and hours of play.  My biggest bane is mad animals or "revenge" animals.  As you know, these are unavoidable.  How is it that people are playing long enough to research things like molotovs, etc...?

Solitary mad animals tend to be easy enough to deal with. First of all you always need to know the basics of the animal you are fighting, check it's stat page(even when you already know that that animal type has a higher base speed, if it has a lower one well no need), compare the speed of the animal with the speed of your colonists, is he slower let one guy kite the animal in a ring a round the rosy style(be careful not to let the animal take shortcuts, use a pile of rocks or a small piece of mountain to run around) while others preferably with long ranged weapons (survival rifle will do)  shoot at it. Is he faster than your colonists, take positions and shoot away at him as he closes the distance, keep track of his health and check his speed very regularly(the more damage they take the slower they'll move, especially if they take a hit to the legs or feet). If he becomes slow enough to do the ring around the rosy and there is room to lure him into that position do so, otherwise dogpile on him with all colonists when he is just about to engage melee(this prevents friendly fire and helps spread the damage between colonists). The ring around the rosy can also be applied to manhunter packs, but more difficult as you always have to watch for animals of the pack that stray off to hunt your other colonists.

To minimize the revenge animals danger go through a similar process, when hunting look for singled out targets(if they are in a group the whole group gets angry) and for slow animals(solitary muffalo are a good target, good food yield and slow) if they enrage just kite them. Heck even some predators are good hunting just look at their speed and if it's lower and they aren't in a group then they are huntable(just expect to be doing some manual kiting from time to time). Later on when you are more experienced and have better toys to your disposal you can be more liberal with hunting targets.

MeowRailroad

Alternatively set all colonists with assault rifles to go hunting at the same time. I removed an alphabeaver group within 5 minutes this way.
Quote from: Tynan on December 02, 2016, 05:24:06 PM
This is like being in a remote fishing town in Libera and asking, "Why can't I just pay one of the fishermen $10 to take me back to Los Angeles?"

chaotix14

Quote from: MeowRailroad on August 15, 2016, 11:35:52 AM
Alternatively set all colonists with assault rifles to go hunting at the same time. I removed an alphabeaver group within 5 minutes this way.

You first have to get to the stage where you even have assault rifles.

MeowRailroad

I bought one from a group passing by for about 600 silver pretty early on, I guess it was just luck?
Quote from: Tynan on December 02, 2016, 05:24:06 PM
This is like being in a remote fishing town in Libera and asking, "Why can't I just pay one of the fishermen $10 to take me back to Los Angeles?"

ahowe42

Quote from: chaotix14 on August 15, 2016, 02:15:07 AM
Quote from: ahowe42 on August 15, 2016, 12:51:23 AM

Solitary mad animals tend to be easy enough to deal with. First of all you always need to know the basics of the animal you are fighting, check it's stat page(even when you already know that that animal type has a higher base speed, if it has a lower one well no need), compare the speed of the animal with the speed of your colonists, is he slower let one guy kite the animal in a ring a round the rosy style(be careful not to let the animal take shortcuts, use a pile of rocks or a small piece of mountain to run around) while others preferably with long ranged weapons (survival rifle will do)  shoot at it. Is he faster than your colonists, take positions and shoot away at him as he closes the distance, keep track of his health and check his speed very regularly(the more damage they take the slower they'll move, especially if they take a hit to the legs or feet). If he becomes slow enough to do the ring around the rosy and there is room to lure him into that position do so, otherwise dogpile on him with all colonists when he is just about to engage melee(this prevents friendly fire and helps spread the damage between colonists). The ring around the rosy can also be applied to manhunter packs, but more difficult as you always have to watch for animals of the pack that stray off to hunt your other colonists.

To minimize the revenge animals danger go through a similar process, when hunting look for singled out targets(if they are in a group the whole group gets angry) and for slow animals(solitary muffalo are a good target, good food yield and slow) if they enrage just kite them. Heck even some predators are good hunting just look at their speed and if it's lower and they aren't in a group then they are huntable(just expect to be doing some manual kiting from time to time). Later on when you are more experienced and have better toys to your disposal you can be more liberal with hunting targets.

Thanks chaotix.  I've been getting better at the hunting (though I guess I'm also hunting less).  Instead of simply marking targets for hunting, I'll send out and personally control a pair of ranged hunters on the more risky prey.  Beavers, squirrels, rabbits, raccoons are not as big of a deal.  I can easily take down from distance a megatherium (sometimes they get pissed off, though not often), bucks, and bears with just the rifle and shotgun.

I've learned to do the same thing with mad animals.