Add random hints/tips to loading screen.

Started by imate1234, September 06, 2016, 09:02:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imate1234

Loading a saved game can take a while, so why not add some useful info while u wait. To get you started here is one snippet that would have saved me much frustration when first starting out ;D  - To trade, left click a colonist then right-click on the trader (pawn with ? over their head).

SpaceDorf

Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

carbon

Arnold Rimmer

I got one for ya'll.....

"Loading tips are for People who refuse to read manuals and/or are not smart enough to find stuff out on their own
and need to be told the most basic game-mechanics EVERY.SINGLE.TIME they load the game or a saved game or
start the game"

Games a long time ago were fun, BECAUSE it was difficult. Nowadays, to maximize profit, eeeeeverybody gets
to be told over and over again by selfclaimed "pro-tips" and stuff how to be the best and the second they
stumble over their own toes they come yelling for help in the forums.

Sure, you could now say "geez, what a drama-queen, so much over-reacting"
I'll say "Over-reacting? The question is, why are -you- not reacting when people treat you like oafs in their games?"

Wait, is "oaf" the right word? I do not mean the thingies you row with on a boat gently down the stream, take it
away, captain, oh my captain, merrily, merrily, merrily...

*wanders off mumbling into the distance*
[Insert combination of words here]

SpaceDorf

Quote from: Arnold Rimmer on September 06, 2016, 02:22:53 PM
I got one for ya'll.....

"Loading tips are for People who refuse to read manuals and/or are not smart enough to find stuff out on their own
and need to be told the most basic game-mechanics EVERY.SINGLE.TIME they load the game or a saved game or
start the game"

Games a long time ago were fun, BECAUSE it was difficult. Nowadays, to maximize profit, eeeeeverybody gets
to be told over and over again by selfclaimed "pro-tips" and stuff how to be the best and the second they
stumble over their own toes they come yelling for help in the forums.

Sure, you could now say "geez, what a drama-queen, so much over-reacting"
I'll say "Over-reacting? The question is, why are -you- not reacting when people treat you like oafs in their games?"

Wait, is "oaf" the right word? I do not mean the thingies you row with on a boat gently down the stream, take it
away, captain, oh my captain, merrily, merrily, merrily...

*wanders off mumbling into the distance*

Dude, you are no fun at all.
I think the Tipps while Loading are way better than Most Tutorial-Levels you are forced to play through.
Also they can be spiced up by ingame lore or other funny stuff.
But some fundamental truths in gaming are just worth repeating. The Mantra of my youth "Save Early. Save Often"

The real funny part about those loading tipps. When you got all indepth info from the game, you notice that the tipps are actually a giant heap of BS you would never do again :)

So yeah, if you don't want to play along and suggest some lines fitting for Rimworld, don't

----

Boomalopes - get them while they are fresh.

Don't forget to feed the bears.

Draegon

Bits of in game lore would be pretty cool in my opinion :D

nccvoyager

Funny things.

Old Urbworld Proverb 59373478231: "You should leave this place." Still applies to any RimWorld.

Quote from a Glitterworld surgeon: "What are these so-called 'bullet wounds' you keep speaking of?"

Mid-World Lord's last words: "What does this metal thing buried in the ground do?"

First words of a Tribesman brought to a Glitterworld: "Why all look sick? Malaria?"

Arnold Rimmer

When i as referring to loading tips, i meant specifically the ones trying to teach the player
how to play the game. I feel different about it, if they contain lore or funny stuff,
Kerbal Space Program as an example does it better in my view.
(Although it gets a bit repetitititive, because not many different are shown)
[Insert combination of words here]

SpaceDorf

Sorry Dude,

I see we understand each other. Sadly I never got into KSP myself but I had several mods that changed the stupid loading screen for Skyrim.

So yeah, I see this more of a chance to goof of, than a thing that Rimworld needs,
considering Rimworld does not even have a loadscreen :)

Deimos Rast

someone should time how long a load actually takes, because I'm thinking you could stretch a single tip over multiple loads. ;D
Although, to be fair I'm sure it gets worse at bigger colonies
#StopPluginAbuse

nccvoyager

Well, on my old hard disk (yes, magnetic storage) with my old AMD Phenom II tri-core running at a total clock speed of around 1.99GHz, and 8GB of DDR2 RAM...
It takes around 30-40 seconds to load my normal-size colony with 14 colonists.
Really depends on whether or not I'm doing anything else with my HDD at the time though.
(If I'm watching videos, it can go up to 60-80 seconds, but of course, I'm watching a video. So, yeah.)

SpaceDorf

Hey .. you have double the memory I have :)

----- Another Loading Message ----

Drugs are baaad, uhmkay.

nccvoyager

Does it run Nethack?  Yes?  Good enough for me.  (Though, I have heard good things about "Warcraft: Orcs and Humans" so I might upgrade.)   ;D

Ah, but back on topic...
The thing is, since 64-bit systems and SSDs are getting to be cheaper, (and the norm,) loading times will continue to be reduced.
The "loading screen" itself, and associated messages, may become part of the "old-timers'" nostalgic memories.

Regardless;

"You want to coerce an AI to fly our ship into space, and then hope that it doesn't go all 2001 on us?"
(This would double as being a funny reference, and telling players they may want to hold on to an AI core when they find one.)

"Don't hunt boomalope unless it's raining."
(Seriously. You probably shouldn't.)

"Mechanoids. Your colonists will want them to attack. Eventually."
(Seriously. I'm just waiting for another mechanoid attack, then I can get my colonists off this world.)

"If in a warm area, build a freezer. Use. Thick. Walls."
(I have seen a lot of people go: "Oh! Thick walls reduce how quickly room temperature changes?")