Pack animals being a "trainable" or "researched" ability?

Started by Skyclops, December 26, 2016, 07:43:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skyclops

Basic idea behind this would be to increase the potential of having more animals for the caravan/pack haulers.

Animals as example that could apply
-Elephants
-Bears
-Rhino
-Thrumbo
-Megasloth
-Bulls

Even other animals that already have "hauling" as an ability could benefit the caravan in someway.

I've already heard numerous people talk about this, as well as seen a couple mods appearing through steam workshop enabling these creatures with pack capability, so it only seemed fitting to try to create a somewhat balanced way to have it enabled into the vanilla game.
Anyway, basically add an additional "trained" ability for pack animals- simply called "pack". Rather than having pack enabled right away for them, you're animal trainers would have to put forth some effort to actually teach and elephant, thrumbo, or megasloth to deal with having a pack saddle and such on. Percentage chance of it being enabled would differ of course I'd imagine on the haul value of the creature itself.
At the same time you could have different levels of trained ability, where there is 7 levels of hauling there could be 7 levels of "pack" as well at which point either the animal cannot be a caravan pack animal until it meets all 7 levels. Or you only get a portion of the max carry weight of that animal per trained level so for 700 weight, 1/7 = 100 etc.

Thank you for your time, would love to hear more suggestions on this as well.

jay_rab

I would love to see training for this, we already have colony hauling were the animal must learn how to haul things to and from the colony.

It would make sense that they would also just not know how to be part of a caravan and would hope that muffalo would be included in this training were they could be taught caravan work.

Not too sure on the levels thing, I would expect them to act the same way the other training does were it just allows it to happen when they finish training.