[A16] - Retina resolution scaling

Started by Nordwolf, March 11, 2017, 02:38:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nordwolf

Hello, right now on my macbook pro retina (2880x1800 resolution) I am forced to play on a lower resolution than I would like to.
In fullscreen I am able to set the resolution to 2880x1800, but internal Rimworld safeguards prevent me from scaling the UI higher.
See this image:
https://i.imgur.com/pmwsgcS.png

Can you please remove those internal safeguards for Retina macs or introduce support for it otherwise.
Thank you.

EDIT: now upon further looking into it, even though it sets the resolution to 2880x1800, the real resolution is still low (1400x900), you can see it by the smudged text in the screenshot. I suppose the problem is a little harder to deal with than just allowing for more UI scaling.

nccvoyager

*Read the paragraph at the end of the post first.*

The safeguards were put into place because scaling the UI to a size greater than that of the screen resolution was causing issues.

As-is, you can bypass the safeguard by manually setting the UI scale to any value above 0.0 from within the preferences file, though I caution against setting the scale high enough that the UI "resolution" is higher than the screen resolution, and setting it lower is useless for you.
Note that this is unsupported, and this may cause bugs, crashes, or display driver crashes that requrie a system restart to rectify.

As for the screen resolution being "incorrect," I am not sure what you are saying the problem is.
You should be able to set the UI to a maximum of 2X scale, but no higher from that screen.
If there is an issue with setting the scale to the 2X mark or lower, please upload a copy of your Player.log file to begin, either as an attachment to a reply, or via a third-party website.
(The third-party site can be a file sharing website, a cloud service like Google Drive, or a site like Pastebin or GitHub.)

QuoteMac (Steam): Users/<UserName>/Library/Logs/Unity/Player.log
Mac (non-Steam): /Users/[your user name]/Library/Logs/Unity/Player.log

Edit: Taking a look around, it seems that the Unity engine may not properly detect and display the maximum resolution of the retina screen while in fullscreen mode, instead rendering the game at the default retina display size (1400x900) and then "stretching" it to the correct size.
Running the game in windowed mode should allow for a higher resolution and therefore scale to be used, though I can make no promises.

ison

There was a bug which would disallow choosing some of the scaling options even though they were fine. So this bug should be fixed in A17.

QuoteEDIT: now upon further looking into it, even though it sets the resolution to 2880x1800, the real resolution is still low (1400x900), you can see it by the smudged text in the screenshot. I suppose the problem is a little harder to deal with than just allowing for more UI scaling.

Yeah it doesn't look right. However unfortunately it looks like a Unity's issue, so I'm not sure we'll be able to fix it.

Thanks for reporting.