Story teller in between Phoebe and Cassandra?

Started by jpinard, February 13, 2017, 08:52:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jpinard

I feel like Goldilocks.  This one is too warm, this one is too cold.  For me a full-play Phoebe colony is just a bit too easy mid/late game, but Cassandra is too hard when I start with her star to finish.  With Phoebe in my current play I wish I were getting raided more now that I have a good defensive apparatus.  Does Randy fit in between the two of them, or is there a mod I should look at?  I'm playing on "some challenge" difficulty level.

Thanks!   :)

OFWG

Did you know you can switch the storyteller during a game from the game menu? You can definitely roll your own experience. :)
Quote from: sadpickle on August 01, 2018, 05:03:35 PM
I like how they saw the naked guy with no food and said, "what he needs is an SMG."

eadras

Yep, change storyteller, and/or difficulty level if you find yourself getting bored.  Crank Cassandra up to Intense or Extreme, and you won't be falling asleep at the keyboard.

Euzio

I think what OP means is that he's kinda hoping for a storysteller that is in between Phoebe and Cassandra. At times I do feel the same way.

The thing is is when we are more inclined to basebuilding but are hoping for like a some raids now and then which aren't overwhelming to provide a little bit of challenge or to test our defences. Phoebe doesn't exactly provide alot of these kind of events while Cassandra can be pretty extreme in the later stages with the raids.

Aerial

I find Randy generally less stressful than Cassandra for the same difficulty level.

However, when Randy goes into a snit he can throw four or five things at you at once instead of Cassandra's more measured pace.  So, where Cassandra feels like constant tension and crisis, Randy has long stretches of calm broken by events that can range from "eh" to total insanity.

cultist

Yeah, in overall difficulty (over many games) Randy lies somewhere between Cassandra and Phoebe. He will on occasion throw a fit and be more unfair than Cassandra but overall, he gives you more time between bad events and the overall threat of a single event isn't worse than Cassandra.
However, he is (AFAIK) the only AI who will on occasion throw up to 3 events at you simultaneously. Again, it's very rare.

Limdood

Set up a custom scenario...

disable the single animal and mass animal insanity, disable travellers, disable self-tamed animal, disable alphabeavers, and any other events which feel like a non-issue to you usually (eclipse?)

This will fairly significantly increase the rate at which SIGNIFICANT events happen...you'll get more raids, more infestations, more ship crashes, but also more refugees, more wanderers, etc.

reducing the pool of available events means the remaining events happen more often.

makapse

Randy being the only sane?? storyteller in the game is a reality if the aim is not to go to space. Cassandra's late game becomes too hard while Phobe is easy. Randy on the other hand is truly random for the entire game. There are sometimes when it can get too difficult even early game with randy, although its rareish and most endgame Randy end in hillarity although there will be even more laughing during the course. Anyone want the pirates sieging while the tribes assault from the same direction and a psychic ship dropping there?

hwfanatic

I hear you. I used to play with such a storyteller in A14, before I've learned to appreciate Cassandra. It's fairly easy to mod, which is why you typically won't find any online. You may use this prototype to play around with: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0ypbq1IHgPQZVZjYlU3SDBXSXM/view?usp=sharing

SpaceDorf

Quote from: makapse on February 14, 2017, 10:13:08 AM
Randy being the only sane?? storyteller in the game is a reality if the aim is not to go to space. Cassandra's late game becomes too hard while Phobe is easy. Randy on the other hand is truly random for the entire game. There are sometimes when it can get too difficult even early game with randy, although its rareish and most endgame Randy end in hillarity although there will be even more laughing during the course. Anyone want the pirates sieging while the tribes assault from the same direction and a psychic ship dropping there?

Yes. I've been playing Randy Extreme since I started playing Rimworld  ..
He is also way more lenient with the number of colonists .. if you want a big base.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

OFWG

Quote from: Euzio on February 13, 2017, 11:11:04 PM
I think what OP means is that he's kinda hoping for a storysteller that is in between Phoebe and Cassandra.

Oh yes, that was clear. It's unlikely that any person could create a storyteller that can satisfy everyone though, thus the suggestions on how to customize your experience with the existing storytellers.
Quote from: sadpickle on August 01, 2018, 05:03:35 PM
I like how they saw the naked guy with no food and said, "what he needs is an SMG."

jpinard

Quote from: Euzio on February 13, 2017, 11:11:04 PM
I think what OP means is that he's kinda hoping for a storysteller that is in between Phoebe and Cassandra. At times I do feel the same way.

The thing is is when we are more inclined to basebuilding but are hoping for like a some raids now and then which aren't overwhelming to provide a little bit of challenge or to test our defences. Phoebe doesn't exactly provide alot of these kind of events while Cassandra can be pretty extreme in the later stages with the raids.

This is exactly it  :)