More use for artist skill.

Started by khun_poo, October 09, 2017, 06:46:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

khun_poo

Art skill is only need for sculpture right now. I think they need to buff this skill to have more use than this point. How about giving more chance for crafting, tailor, smiting or building stuff have higher quality? Or maybe add something for artist pawn to do other than sculpting.

CannibarRechter

I think there was a mod out there that allowed paintings and other such.
CR All Mods and Tools Download Link
CR Total Texture Overhaul : Gives RimWorld a Natural Feel
CR Moddable: make RimWorld more moddable.
CR CompFX: display dynamic effects over RimWorld objects

SpaceDorf

Good one,

seeing that Items with Excellent Quality and Upwards can have Art attached to them, I wonder if they are connected.

An evil observation : Masterwork Items in the real world are often praised as "Work of Art" ..
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

CannibarRechter

With the caveat that I haven't read the code, my thinking is that the craftsmanship skill should 1) determine crafting speed, 2) lower the probability of "poor" crafting outcomes. The artistic skill should be the main driver for highly decorative; e.g., mastercraft, items. That's how I would do it, if I were to redo the logic of the base game.

Additionally, if an artist has sufficient art skill, I would allow the bill to allow them to specify the quality of the work, at the cost of time on the work. There was a mod to do that somewhere; should prolly be part of the base game.
CR All Mods and Tools Download Link
CR Total Texture Overhaul : Gives RimWorld a Natural Feel
CR Moddable: make RimWorld more moddable.
CR CompFX: display dynamic effects over RimWorld objects

anexiledone

Wouldn't hurt to add some art related activities. Maybe add in a dye workshop to change clothing colors, options to add art to walls, barbershop, musical instruments that give passing pawns a mood buff. Things like that. As of now art is simply sculpting.

freemapa

Artists should be able to improve the value/beauty of basically anything in the game.

Got a "shoddy short bow"? Turn it into an "artisitic shoddy short bow" with a couple bits of jade.

Obviously there would be a small chance of destroying the object.

Noph

I had an idea at one time for music to be introduced which would be based on the artist skill.

Something like you can craft basic, wooden musical instruments at the crafting spot. The music played affects everyone in a circle radius around the character playing it. If his Artistic skill is <10 everyone hearing it receives a -3 mood penalty. If >10 they get a +3 mood buff.

Obviously, if anyone over 60 years old hears the music they get a -3 "Stop that damn racket!" buff regardless of the Artistic skill of the music player.

Later on you could use the advanced crafting spots to craft modern instruments as well as amplifiers to increase the range of the circle of influence of the player.

khun_poo

Quote from: Noph on October 12, 2017, 07:07:08 AM
If his Artistic skill is <10 everyone hearing it receives a -3 mood penalty.

Incapable of violent? Not anymore.

Yoshida Keiji

Yes, the Arts aspect of this game really is lacky.

We already have nudists. We could make females do a "Rachel Weisz", where she poses and then the artist makes a sculpture or painting. I want paintings so that others won't enter a private room as it happens with sculptures.

We could have "Embalming" so our dead pawns are not completely missed.

We could have Headbanging and Dancing. Getting my own colony of female nudists dance in my...room...wait is that art? Yes! Strippers!

I would love a mix of Joy with Art that includes storytelling, a mix of "Party" and the "Arts" of furnitures where the engraved stories are instead, told around a campfire or a table, where we could actually "read" the dialogue bubbles with those texts, and of course the teller gains arts points for narration performance.