[POLL] Predator Attacks, should they be given notifications?

Started by A Friend, July 19, 2017, 05:13:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What the title said.

Yes, you should be notified as soon as they decide to hunt colonists.
20 (32.8%)
Yes, but only when they're a certain distance from the colonists.
25 (41%)
No.
15 (24.6%)
Just remove the feature entirely.
1 (1.6%)

Total Members Voted: 61

A Friend

"For you, the day Randy graced your colony with a game-ending raid was the most memorable part of your game. But for Cassandra, it was Tuesday"

Squiggly lines you call drawings aka "My Deviantart page"

Goldenpotatoes

Fun fact: you can force-target point-blank pawns with ranged weapons to force them to fire instead of melee. The cougar that decided to jump your hauler will be regretting it once the barrel if a heavy SMG is stuck up its unmentionables and fired.

Or just prevent the encounter all together: turn the hunter into the hunted.

In short: aquire efficiency

Yoshida Keiji

Quote from: ChillinVillian13 on July 19, 2017, 08:18:36 AM
If your colonist is getting hunted down without your knowledge then it is your fault that you didn't see the danger and take precautions. Myself i prefer to get a hunting party and shoot down the predator. But if you can't pay attention to your game then you can't blame the game's mechanics

I completely agree with that. Every night its always the best time to spot new arrivals with the big ZZZ flying all over them (in speed x3 while circling the whole map doesn't consume time and you finish before your guys wake up to the point you can do two checks), it doesn't really take much time to zoom out 8/10 max range enough to spot snow hares in ice sheet. Granted that some animals zone in during the day too, and you should be checking where your colonists go. Any specific location that looks too vulnerable, I always build a cover wall so that the character can play peek a boo or run in circle until a back-up team shows up, all the time just playing bait/lure for the others have a clean shot.

In real life people do get attacked by surprise, bears in the woods in berries season, known to be the main nutrient source humans should leave to them, specially with urbanization taking over forests and green areas. When animals are made to starve due to mankind greed without consideration on global effect. Man has forgotten to share. Removing the surprise element takes a lot away from the game just because of whip players.

What the game could introduce for safety would be pair-assignments. Instead of solo work, give the chance for players to create teams so that nobody goes out alone, like in real life too. Then people should be able to watch each others backs. Then any one who has a pretty partner gets a distracted effect that can cause loose of attention by looking at her...legs... instead of watching the surroundings. I would totally fail to watch over Kim Kardashigan while she bends to grab berries.

Bozobub

Once again, do you realize you are actually arguing for the complete removal of notifications?  Because I can use the exact same logic for any notification currently in place.

Well?  Why should this one event be treated differently?
Thanks, belgord!

Yoshida Keiji

I already said that I would love RAID notification removed.

A Friend

Quote from: Yoshida Keiji on July 19, 2017, 10:39:26 PM
In real life people do get attacked by surprise, bears in the woods in berries season, known to be the main nutrient source humans should leave to them, specially with urbanization taking over forests and green areas. When animals are made to starve due to mankind greed without consideration on global effect. Man has forgotten to share.

This is a game. Unless it's a realistic simulation game, realism has very little value in the argument.

Quote from: Yoshida Keiji on July 19, 2017, 10:39:26 PMRemoving the surprise element takes a lot away from the game just because of whip players.

I don't know what you mean by the red text but I'm gonna assume that's an insult. Please drop this attitude of elitism. But aside from that, elements of surprise are indeed necessary to keep the game experience fresh. Assuming that you are given enough time to react to it. Animal attacks do not. It causes more frustration than fun.

Quote from: Yoshida Keiji on July 19, 2017, 10:39:26 PMI already said that I would love RAID notification removed.

Many people don't.
"For you, the day Randy graced your colony with a game-ending raid was the most memorable part of your game. But for Cassandra, it was Tuesday"

GetDunced

Guys and gals calm down. I think there's a simple solution here that'll please (almost) everyone. An option in the menu.

A Friend

This is just one problem so far. I highly doubt adding options for everything would be feasible in the long run.

GetDunced

Perhaps based on difficulty? Some-challenge or higher, no notification. Perhaps I'm making it to precise and complicated, but from the looks of it no one's getting anywhere here with just "yes" and "no".