[Mod Request] Improved melee techniques

Started by Valor, May 02, 2016, 07:07:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valor

Hello,

I always found melee quite lackluster, so I was thinking how it could be made more entertaining. I came with four ideas that if made together could make melee more engaging.

1. Allow only one pawn per square when attacking in melee.
2. Let idle pawns with melee weapon in drafted mode autoattack enemies in range (like they autoshoot) without specific command.
3. Make melee weapons with reach 2, that can be used to attack one square away.
4. Give a pawn chance to avoid a melee attack by having high melee skill (or make a separate skill?) and maybe some defensive stat of the weapon.

Hopefully it will make a sense to some good modder and he will take up the task.

Thank you kindly. Valor

Valor

I would like to gently bump my old topic. If anyone is up for the challenge it would be much appriciated. Point 1 has already been implemented in the core game, so only 3 remain! :)

Razzoriel

I can make a mod which makes your human pawns do kicks and headbutts when unarmed. Not exactly what you want, but kinda cool in its own way.

Valor

If a modder could at least state if the request is possible, it would mean a lot. Thanks!

Wishmaster

I like the ideas however you should not be able to avoid/blocks all attacks if you pawn are being punched by 5 other pawns. I think blocking should have a cooldown based on melee skill.

ambivalence

It would be great to have let's say 4 tiers of melee fighting with different animations and possible enemy debuffs. I also assume that paws with high melee skill should have some kind of permanent buffs due to a physiology. Another one suggestion: to make some melee skill checks in close-ranged battles to unarm each other or to down a berserk-ally without any harm. Subscribing!

Valor

Quote from: Wishmaster on January 09, 2017, 09:50:36 AM
I like the ideas however you should not be able to avoid/blocks all attacks if you pawn are being punched by 5 other pawns. I think blocking should have a cooldown based on melee skill.

That could work for sure. Or perhaps each successive parry attempt in short ammount of time (1-2s?) Gets a stacking debuf to parry?

Tho for me, the most wanted feature is the melee auto attack. Its such hassle to micro manage your brawlers, enemy can walk past them without them attacking, unless they punch him first.

ambivalence

SpaceDorf

Yes. We need more dismemberment and hitting others with bodyparts.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

DiamondBorne

You might want to looking at Diablo 2 combat system for some inspiration. For example: Not only there's a shield/weapon block system on top of the dodge/defence, there's also a block speed mechanic too. If you chance is high enough to roll a blocks, then you will indeed block but you have to contend with the delay until your next block is available. Since Rimworld won't be able to handle complex, fighting game level mechanics by its design, we can still use something similiar and i think Diablo 2 is perfect: It is all number crunch and calculation-based which the game won't have any problem with.