Separate flammability into two stats: fire-spread, and damaged-by-fire.

Started by AileTheAlien, June 29, 2018, 04:05:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AileTheAlien

I found several old topics (last year, or even earlier) advocating that steel items be completely fire-proof, or that humidity be added to the game, but nothing that addresses what I think is the root cause of annoyances with how fire works - the ability for something to be damaged by fire is the same stat that allows it to spread fire. So either something doesn't burn at all[1], or it burns and also spreads fire. This leads to some silly / frustrating / whatever situations in games, where my piles of meat are spreading fire rampantly. I'm totally cool with losing the items, as a danger / cost / etc, but...why is it spreading more fire, when it doesn't make sense for that item?

I'd like to propose a third option[2], the one in the middle-ground (and the middle of this list):
1. Thing doesn't burn. (e.g. stone bricks, piles of steel)
2. Thing is damaged by fire, but doesn't spread fire. (e.g. piles of meat)
3. Thing is damaged by fire, and also allows fire to be spread. (e.g. wood, chemfuel, cloth)

To allow this, I propose splitting the current flammability stat into two stats; One for an item's (or material's) ability to be damaged by fire, and one for an item's ability to spread more fire. Not sure what the names should be, but that's minor, in my opinion.

Technically, I guess you could have items that spread fire, but don't get burned up with these two stats, by having the damaged-stat low or zero, and the spread-stat high. Maybe that would provide interesting scenarios or items? I wouldn't rule it out. It would probably be best to have all the standard items in the game always have the damaged-stat greater or equal to the spread-stat, but not actually enforce that relationship in the game's code/systems. Maybe there's a fire-conduit, or fire-moat item, which would be fun for mods. Probably unbalanced, but definitely fun for mods; Again, that's why I suggest not enforcing the greater-than-or-equal-to relationship in the game-code. :)

Notes:
[1] or starts on fire more slowly; I'm not 100% sure on how the exact percentage modifies the in-game behaviour

[2] Assuming a 0% or 100% number in the appropriate stat(s). Again, I'm not sure how the actual number affects the speed of burn and/or firespread. However, it definitely seems like the two behaviours I want to separate, are coupled together into the same "flammability" stat right now.