Quarrying

Started by Zombull, July 22, 2018, 10:42:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zombull

Add a new order next to Mine called Quarry that will have a very high chance of producing a stone block. Let it be about as slow as mining steel.

Zombull

Meant to put this in Suggestions. Sorry.

DubskiDude

In 1.0, using deep drills on a random spot will get you stone chunks. So that already exists.

Zombull

That's an awfully expensive substitution for just...mining more carefully.

DubskiDude

Not really. Sure you have to research it, and it usually takes about mid-late game to get there, but you just drop 200 steel and 4 components for a drill that you don't need to deconstruct and rebuild. You can reinstall it anywhere in 1.0. And it means you have a constant supply of chunks literally forever. Before then you can just pick up chunks around the map or mine through hills. I don't think anyone is currently hurting for a way to mine chunks.

Adding an entirely new button simply to produce chunks, when it would be completely obsolete after the early game, seems kind of silly, and would be a waste of space.

Emulsion

I'd actually like this.
There are times, I'm craving for stone. My last play through was inside a mountain so there wasn't really an issue but I had to mine a lot to get the desired chunks for traps and walls/doors.
If I had to build my base on mostly flat terrain I'd have had trouble getting enough stone.
I must admit I didn't try deep mining for stone though, so can't make a qualified statement regarding that.

giltirn

Quote from: DubskiDude on July 22, 2018, 11:47:27 PM
Not really. Sure you have to research it, and it usually takes about mid-late game to get there, but you just drop 200 steel and 4 components for a drill that you don't need to deconstruct and rebuild. You can reinstall it anywhere in 1.0. And it means you have a constant supply of chunks literally forever. Before then you can just pick up chunks around the map or mine through hills. I don't think anyone is currently hurting for a way to mine chunks.

Adding an entirely new button simply to produce chunks, when it would be completely obsolete after the early game, seems kind of silly, and would be a waste of space.

Deep drill spawns bugs and is a late-game addition, especially now that research is slower. I always find myself hurting for chunks, especially on flat maps, and the recent changes to traps make this even worse. I even took to sending out caravans specifically to mine stone, but unfortunately chunks are very heavy so this is quite impractical. Having a means to access a reliable source of stone in early-mid game would be a very good addition IMO.