Armor in 1.0

Started by CakeOrDeath, July 28, 2018, 06:43:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CakeOrDeath

As many of you know, armor is reworked in 1.0. I'll just copy the well written in game tooltip here so that everyone is on the same page.

"Upon taking damage, first this armor rating is reduced by the attack's armor penetration value. The remaining armor rating is then compared against a random number from 0 to 100.

-If the random number is under half the armor rating, the damage deflects harmlessly.
-If the random number is over half the armor rating, but not higher than the armor rating, the damage is mitigated. This means it is converted into blunt damage and reduced by half.
-If the random number is greater than the armor rating, the armor has no effect.

For example, at 90% armor rating against an attack with 10% armor penetration there is a 40% chance of deflecting the attack harmlessly and a 40% chance of mitigating the damage.

In the case of apparel armor, each layer of apparel applies its armor to the attack separetely, from the outside in."

Now that hyperweave can be obtained in large quantities from trading I began to wonder if a hyperweave button down + flak vest + hyperweave duster would be better than hyperweave button down + marine armor (previously called power armor). In both cases pawns will wear hyperweave buttondown shirts and only damage to the torso will be considered. Quality is considered but for simplicity combinations of items of mixed quality are not included. (so normal means the button-down, flak vest and duster are all normal).

All of these numbers are from build 1.0.1978 and could very well be rebalanced at any time.

AP 20 is normal for small arms fire and normal quality sharp melee weapons. AP 45 is the dreaded charge lance that always seems to fine your most valuable pawn. Blue is deflected, orange is mitigated, and red is full damage.

We can see that the marine armor does have an edge over hyperweave dusters and flak vests, but not too much of one. Quality really makes a difference. Light armor is better than marine armor one quality level lower. Agianst the charge lance excellent quality marine armor will never take a full damage hit but excellent hyperweave still has a 9% chance of an unmitigated hit to the heart or neck which I believe still results in death.

Personally I think I will still choose the faster -.12c/s flak vest + duster over the -.40c/s marine armor for most pawns. Overall I think this is well balanced that it takes not only advanced armor but high quality also to be fully protected.

I might do a blunt damage comparison for melee pawns. If there is another clothing comparison you want made, just ask below or you can make a copy of this sheet to play around with: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-pRfTVi9fIZ6sw8gZYl4i1VxcrflVrS-lPVhtUHxuy8/edit?usp=sharing

Edit: Updated for 1.0.1978

DubskiDude

This is really cool, thanks for the data.

XeoNovaDan

zizard

Who needs legs amirite.

CakeOrDeath

Quote from: zizard on July 28, 2018, 07:40:58 PM
Who needs legs amirite.

Losing legs is just an excuse to replace them with bionics ;)

Teleblaster18

Quote from: CakeOrDeath on July 28, 2018, 08:00:20 PM
Quote from: zizard on July 28, 2018, 07:40:58 PM
Who needs legs amirite.

Losing legs is just an excuse to replace them with bionics ;)

Ah...an Aristocrat, eh? :)

Peglegs for my guys, right now.  It'll make them appreciate better technology when it becomes available.

Thane

It is regular practice to install peg legs and dentures on anyone you don't like around here. Think about that.