Suggestions for a nomadic CE Playthrough?

Started by GBE, March 20, 2020, 01:29:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GBE

I recently finished a combat extended playthrough for the first time and I'm looking to follow up with a novel premise. My aim is to create a challenging gameplay loop, focusing on tactical combat and scavenging by stripping back everything else. Unable to hunker down and stockpile supplies, you are forced steal and trade to advance.

The concept so far
You control a small, premade squad of 6-10 pawns, all of which are skilled combatants with useful traits. As part of an initiation into a military organisation, your squad are dumped on a rimworld and tasked with making the return trip themselves. The goal is extraction via the friendly AI's ship.

The restrictions:

• Minimal starting provisions
    (basic clothes, a little food and medicine, a knife each)
  • No permanent settlement
    (you can set up camp for up to 7 days at a time)
  • No farming; although foraging is allowed
  • No mining
  • No crafting/smithing/tayloring
  • No researching, but tribal techs are unlocked
  • No new colonists can join your group

The mods:

• Combat extended
  • Combat extended guns
  • EPOE
  • EdB Prepare Carefully
  • Death rattle
  • Set up camp
  • RimCities
  • Psychology
  • Mods affecting the number and variety of factions (TBD)
  • Various quality of life and other small mods

Further mods added since initial post:

• SF Grim Reality
  • Giddy-up! Caravan
  • Animal Collab Project
  • Alpha Animals
  • Rimsenal

• Rimsenal - Feral
  • Rimsenal - Federation
  • Vanilla Factions Expanded - Settlers
  • Vanilla Factions Expanded - Medieval
    (there's a CE patch that works with a small tweak)
  • Sparkling Worlds Addon - Blue Moon Corp

• Realistic Planets
  • Grand Rivers Reborn
  • Alpha Biomes
  • More Vanilla Biomes

I was wandering if anyone had any suggestions for additional mods or changes that fit within the theme.
Also, do you think this could be an enjoyable scenario? If you've had experience with a nomadic playstyle let me know.

RicRider

Instead of Psychology I'd suggest Grim Reality if it got updated yet. Other than that it's an amazing idea and I'm going to do one over the weekend and maybe come back with other ideas. I'll probably add some faction mods too like Blue Moons and Orions and of course the Giddy Up Mods with a 100% generated planet. You could also add some biome mods like Alpha Biomes or More Vanilla Biomes just to keep the camps really varied.

Oh also I did a run similar to this once called 'Tomb Raiders'. We went to the ship but we had to stay in ancient dangers each time we camped. The first one was always a nightmare and it took me a few tries to solo the first one with crappy gear :D
##Coding Scrub##

GBE

Quote from: RicRider on March 20, 2020, 01:46:55 PM
Instead of Psychology I'd suggest Grim Reality if it got updated yet. Other than that it's an amazing idea and I'm going to do one over the weekend and maybe come back with other ideas. I'll probably add some faction mods too like Blue Moons and Orions and of course the Giddy Up Mods with a 100% generated planet. You could also add some biome mods like Alpha Biomes or More Vanilla Biomes just to keep the camps really varied.

Oh also I did a run similar to this once called 'Tomb Raiders'. We went to the ship but we had to stay in ancient dangers each time we camped. The first one was always a nightmare and it took me a few tries to solo the first one with crappy gear :D

Cool, I'll give Grim Reality a go. I think I'll be using 1.0 for now (not sure if CE has been updated to 1.1 yet), so the current version of it will work fine.
I hadn't thought about Giddy Up actually (I've never used it before), and more biomes would definately spice it up. Good suggestions, thanks.
Enjoy :) and yeah, let me know how it goes.