The problem with raids and defense

Started by TrashMan, March 17, 2020, 06:47:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShadowKatt

Quote from: 8roads on March 18, 2020, 07:40:21 AM
Quote from: ShadowKatt on March 18, 2020, 07:07:54 AM
My colony can't even feed itself. We don't even have herbal medicine. The map is so poor we can't set foot outside without being hunted by the stray, starving predators that wander in.

I can't bribe other factions with pity.

...but why would anyone want to raid you?

I don't know! At least let us research micoelectronics first.

What I THINK happened, and I don't know if this is how the code works, is I built a BIG mountain base. Built walls around all of it, smoothed the interiour. It took years of in-game labor to do. I wonder if all that smoothed stone and the massive home zone somehow counts towards wealth so they think we're living in opulance when we couldn't actually defend ourselves against a third world african country.

We have bolt action rifles. Ethiopia is better armed than we are. We're getting there but it's a struggle. I will say this, one of the things I always hated about vanilla rimworld and still do is power. My options are solar(which only works half the time and vanilla events expanded doesn't let me use at all), wind which is unreliable, and geothermal which is extremely limited. So I can only afford one hydroponics farm. I wish vanilla rimworld had some kind of uranium nuclear reactor(not that I'd have the research for it). I can build a starship but fissile reactors are still somehow beyond me.

TrashMan

Quote from: B@R5uk on March 18, 2020, 08:35:14 AM

Now I see a pattern:

{Some_User_Name}: {Some_Problem_Description}
TrashMan: Think about story! Think about drama!

2 cases do not make a pattern.
You need a bigger sample size, friend.

Lexa

Quote from: ShadowKatt on March 18, 2020, 09:28:58 AMI wonder if all that smoothed stone [...] counts towards wealth so they think we're living in opulance

That exactly. Smoothened stone is VERY valuable. Check your wealth graph, a large area of smoothened stone will have increased your wealth massively.

8roads

Quote from: ShadowKatt on March 18, 2020, 09:28:58 AM
Quote from: 8roads on March 18, 2020, 07:40:21 AM
Quote from: ShadowKatt on March 18, 2020, 07:07:54 AM
My colony can't even feed itself. We don't even have herbal medicine. The map is so poor we can't set foot outside without being hunted by the stray, starving predators that wander in.

I can't bribe other factions with pity.

...but why would anyone want to raid you?

I don't know! At least let us research micoelectronics first.

What I THINK happened, and I don't know if this is how the code works, is I built a BIG mountain base. Built walls around all of it, smoothed the interiour. It took years of in-game labor to do. I wonder if all that smoothed stone and the massive home zone somehow counts towards wealth so they think we're living in opulance when we couldn't actually defend ourselves against a third world african country.

We have bolt action rifles. Ethiopia is better armed than we are. We're getting there but it's a struggle. I will say this, one of the things I always hated about vanilla rimworld and still do is power. My options are solar(which only works half the time and vanilla events expanded doesn't let me use at all), wind which is unreliable, and geothermal which is extremely limited. So I can only afford one hydroponics farm. I wish vanilla rimworld had some kind of uranium nuclear reactor(not that I'd have the research for it). I can build a starship but fissile reactors are still somehow beyond me.

god you people with your obsession over real estate ( guess that's a first world thing )

Maybe you can move somewhere else, start a new colony. when your old mountain base is infested, bugs will take care of the raiders. then you go back for the jelly and the loot.

B@R5uk

Quote from: Lexa on March 18, 2020, 11:58:41 AM
Quote from: ShadowKatt on March 18, 2020, 09:28:58 AMI wonder if all that smoothed stone [...] counts towards wealth so they think we're living in opulance

That exactly. Smoothened stone is VERY valuable. Check your wealth graph, a large area of smoothened stone will have increased your wealth massively.

The worst thing about smoothed stone floor is that you can not unsmooth it. Once you did it, it's permanent!

And for some reason devs decided to hide structure wealth value. There was a line in v1.0 in walls description that told you how much wall costs but now it gone.