FRINDLY MODE

Started by bigwolf2101, November 04, 2013, 10:52:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigwolf2101

just wanted to know if I play on friendly mode will there even be raiders at all?

Mucephorous

Nope, as far as I know, on passive mode, there are no raiders, play classic if you want a more balanced experience :)

W1Z25

Quote from: Mucephorous on November 04, 2013, 11:03:30 PM
Nope, as far as I know, on passive mode, there are no raiders, play classic if you want a more balanced experience :)

not true

ALL gametypes have enemies.. granted on friendly they are about 1-3 raiders per week..so you have a LOT of time to prepare

Semmy

Yes phoeby only spawns angry animals and the occasional raider.

Will give you the most easy gameplay.
Do make sure to atleast have some defences/armed colonists ready since she does spawn stuff on the rare occasion since she doesnt have much events YET
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Edmund Burke

willow512

Phoebe almost kicked my butt though :) Not that I'm complaining she's too hard, she's a sweetheart compared to cassandra. But I had not focussed on defense, I figured I could handle things with sandbags and armed colonists. My 2 colonists armed with pistols were outclassed by 3 raiders who came from a totally unexpected angle and one of the raiders had molotov cocktals! We barely made it out alive, I eventually solved it by sending everyone in to melee them, those cocktails hurt!

Mansen

Phoebe is much more docile - She strikes a good balance between a completely passive game and large raider groups.

If you give your best colonist the starter pistol and place sandbag line with a turret, you should be able to fend off the first raider attack with no trouble at all. Pick up what the raider(s) drop and keep slowly building up your defence and you'll do just fine.

Your biggest challenge is finding a good spot with only one or two chokepoints - just to lessen the stress.

City Builder

I'd really love to see a completely passive (friendly) game added to this game.  In the few hours that I've been playing 250 today (I think it says it's 250) I've been hit by raiders far too often for my liking playing the phoebe friendly or whatever she's called.

Mansen

Phoebe doesn't remove raiders - Only makes them complete pushovers. You'd likely grow incredibly tired if raiders were removed entirely, since so much of the game relies on conflict to balance growth.

City Builder

Quote from: Mansen on November 05, 2013, 09:26:56 PM
Phoebe doesn't remove raiders - Only makes them complete pushovers. You'd likely grow incredibly tired if raiders were removed entirely, since so much of the game relies on conflict to balance growth.
Perhaps, although at least an option to turn off all raiders would be nice.  Many people love to play these types of games for the more "building" or "economic" type of game play.

It seems it was a big contention in the community of Gnomoria but the developer finally saw his way through both sides and decided to add the options to turn off the enemies in the game for those that wanted it and I love to play that game without enemies just building as I see fit and trading with the traders and can't say that I've ever been bored with it.

willow512

Quote from: City Builder on November 05, 2013, 10:24:48 PM
Perhaps, although at least an option to turn off all raiders would be nice.  Many people love to play these types of games for the more "building" or "economic" type of game play.
I think I'm one of those players. The challenge for me is to make the most optimized colony. It was the same for dwarf fortress I always picked a friendly zone.

But Phoebe is kind enough for me. Absolutely no raiders would be too pacifist for me.

Still, I'm sure it'd be trivial to add yet another completely pacifist storyteller even more pacifist than the current Phoebe... One who spawns no raiders at all..

nnescio

Quote from: Mansen on November 05, 2013, 09:26:56 PM

Also, no raiders = no Goblin Raider Christmas.

rh

Phoebe Friendly is very easy to play once you know the basics. It's good that this mode exists for people who just want to expand their colony yet don't die of boredom so there's the occasional little challenge.

But I agree that there should be an option to disable raiders and other desasters completely. A lot of people, me included, like to treat builder games as a sort of aquarium where they try to create self-sufficient towns/colonies and just wait and watch how long it will survive without player interaction. And please make it possible to toggle this on a running map so that you can build without pressure then activate events once you start to get bored or want to test your latest defense strategy.

Hmm... on a related topic: it would also be cool if colonists try to automatically rebuild destroyed structures, at least ones where you specify it. My dream version of a builing game would be one where micromanagement is possible, but not required anymore once you have setup a stable scenario.