Starting Guide (or what I learned in my first 8 hours of play)

Started by Cassey, November 05, 2013, 10:45:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cassey

Quote from: sigmaone on November 05, 2013, 08:02:08 PM
It seems to me that things tend to short out in the rain. Can anyone confirm this? Had anything short out? I've only ever built my sun lamps inside, and they never short out. In my most recent game, I built a shed for my batteries, and for my geothermal generator. They never shorted out . My nutrient paste machine, however, shorted out routinely, and my comm console did as well, until I placed that under a roof.  Perhaps its worth the risk of shorts for the sake of fewer walls. I don't know.

They absolutely do - mostly the electronics stuff like your Comms, food processor, etc.  Key is to build walls and get them under roof.  Note that rooms have a limited free-span, somewhere around 6-8 tiles (I didn't test, just a gut call), before you need a support wall, or at least a support corner.

Walls are cheap, highly suggest using them.  They are also great defenses.

Dragula

Quote from: Cassey on November 05, 2013, 08:05:16 PM
Quote from: sigmaone on November 05, 2013, 08:02:08 PM
It seems to me that things tend to short out in the rain. Can anyone confirm this? Had anything short out? I've only ever built my sun lamps inside, and they never short out. In my most recent game, I built a shed for my batteries, and for my geothermal generator. They never shorted out . My nutrient paste machine, however, shorted out routinely, and my comm console did as well, until I placed that under a roof.  Perhaps its worth the risk of shorts for the sake of fewer walls. I don't know.
They absolutely do - mostly the electronics stuff like your Comms, food processor, etc.  Key is to build walls and get them under roof.  Note that rooms have a limited free-span, somewhere around 6-8 tiles (I didn't test, just a gut call), before you need a support wall, or at least a support corner.

Walls are cheap, highly suggest using them.  They are also great defenses.
My batteryrooms are 9x6 and hold up :)
Sometimes you get an accidental battery discharge, all the energy is discharged instantly causing fire and damaged equipment. This sounds worse than it actually is. I had 184 full batteries discharge and and only had a a few fires and 5 broken powerlines.
I think a geo-thermalunit can stay outdoors, devices that use or store electricity, not so much.

Quote from: Cassey on November 05, 2013, 07:59:49 PM
D)  I went overkill on batteries, then had to overkill on solar panels to eventually get them fully charged.  Just like in real life, you need to balance the two.  I needed the panels to power both all of the turrets, for my duplicate food units, duplicate Comms, and to provide an alternative should my geothermal die (which it did once).  Basically, I wanted to be functional even if one of the key components died - but that took a lot of power.
It doesnt matter if you have boatloads of batteries. The stored energy is spread over all the batteries. More batteries just means that it takes longer to fully charge them.
I like having enormous energy backups for when an eclipse hits.

Quote from: skittles32009 on November 05, 2013, 06:39:51 PM
Heres another bit for when your creating rooms- 32 squares will remove the "cramped environment" moodlet that reduces mood by 5. Bed location also makes a difference.So a 6x6 room, 5x7, 4x8, etc. etc.

i've only done a little testing, so it is very possible a smaller room will suffice with a bed placed in the perfect spot.
My bedrooms are all 3x3 with a bed, lamp and a plant and all the colonists have high loyalty. Even when working inside a lot. corpses lying around seemto be the biggest influence for someone to go haywire.

Quote from: Grimreaper1704 on November 05, 2013, 05:32:18 PM
i got a questing about your "Prison" i see you not wall up room for prisoners. Do they not brawl? i mean when u have 2 prisoners in the same room they not start to kill each other?  :o
Prisoners are relatively friendly. I had a comms and research unit in a prison when expanding and they didn't attack either unit, neither did they they attack the user.
However, don't forget to undraft the person that takes the prisoner. They will get attacked eventually.

Negocromn

I have no words for this thread, how can someone play once and feel like making a guide, without knowing even the most basic stuff... WHY

Cyclops

Quote from: Negocromn on November 08, 2013, 04:14:14 PM
I have no words for this thread, how can someone play once and feel like making a guide, without knowing even the most basic stuff... WHY
Oh you must be new on the Internet.

Cassey

Oh, how about the fact that everything was fully disclosed and reported in under a day of the game being released?  Several folks commented they found it interesting, and it spawned discussion.  Please don't Monday-morning quarterback.  Having SOMETHING out there based on the released game was useful, at least to some of us.

I didn't claim to be an expert and just posted what I felt.  Its called "Sharing".

air805ronin

Quote from: Negocromn on November 08, 2013, 04:14:14 PM

Its fairly clear its from his first experience with the game.  Some of the issues he has are the same I had playing the game.

His experience I would think to be fairly valuable, especially to folks like Tynan who might want to know what newcomers are having trouble figuring out.  Is the process of building an outdoor building intuitive?  What's the proper size for a room or building?  What are some ways to make this easier to figure out for the new players?  Would tooltips like those in Prison Architect help, telling you how big the minimum room size should be for something?

This kind of thread provides a lot of really positive UI and interface information in one compact place instead of having to hit several threads.