Physical/outdoor jobs vs skill/indoor jobs

Started by MajorFordson, April 05, 2015, 09:38:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MajorFordson

It would be very good to see a split between jobs that require hard labor or being outdoors vs jobs that are relatively easy and are indoors.

This could have two effects -

1) Jobs that require skill at a bench, such as sewing or cooking, could be made much easier for crippled colonists. Suddenly your colonist who suffers from old age or a terrible wound no longer shuffles around trying to haul a single load of timber over the course of a day. The player could set them for "light duties" only, meaning they would focus on housekeeping and crafting jobs, which they could achieve much better.

2) A better weather/day night cycle. Imagine, the sun sets and your pawns stop mining or logging in the pitch dark of night and instead spend a few hours indoors performing jobs in the warmth and light of your buildings, before retiring to bed.

Two aspects of the game that I think would become more immersive and offer a better balance for the various chores.

Cryorus

2) is already a planned feature for alpha 10 https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_rCdGYp3nbSUXFG4Ky96RZW1cJGt9g_6ANZZPOHyNsg/pub
Tynan updates it almost daily (mostly). its his dev blog.

You will be able to manualy assign a timetable and designate "bedtime","crafting time" or whatever.

Regret

Quote from: MajorFordson on April 05, 2015, 09:38:37 PM
1) Jobs that require skill at a bench, such as sewing or cooking, could be made much easier for crippled colonists. Suddenly your colonist who suffers from old age or a terrible wound no longer shuffles around trying to haul a single load of timber over the course of a day. The player could set them for "light duties" only, meaning they would focus on housekeeping and crafting jobs, which they could achieve much better.
Or just disable hauling for your crippled colonist. I usually make sure they don't have hunting or mining either.
Construction depends on the projects i have running.

A direct link between movement speed and inclination to move long distances would be nice though.