Wardrobes - Colonist Clothing Management

Started by monkeystyxx, January 26, 2015, 09:48:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

monkeystyxx

Perceived problem: It's too fiddly to have to instruct colonists to take off clothing when they get too hot/put it back on when too cold.

Proposed solution: A Wardrobe furniture item, which acts as a container for apparel and is owned by colonists individually (like beds).

Colonists can store clothes that they've previously worn in the wardrobe. When it gets too hot for a prolonged period (ie, more than just a few ticks), they take clothing off (prioritised by items that make the most difference to heat tolerance) and store them in their wardrobe. When they get too cold, they automatically go and put on any clothes stored in their own wardrobe that would help them. This way you'd still be able to control what a colonist wears, but they could manage what specific items to wear at certain times by themselves.

Along similar lines it'd be good for balance if colonists got unhappy if they had to sleep in their clothes. It would put a bigger incentive on using heaters and keeping living accommodation warm, for one thing. Yeah, if it's too cold then by all means sleep in your parka, don't want you freezing to death. But the colonists should get annoyed at having to do that. I would, if I had to sleep in a coat because the heating was broken!

Johnny Masters

There was talk about the subject a few pages back, also in a few assorted posts

but yeah, wardrobes (and whatnot) +1

monkeystyxx

Ah, sorry. I did search, but clearly not well enough. :(

GlassDeviant

Custom outfits would be a good complement to this as well, like:

Outfit 1: t-shirt, pants, straw hat, trench.
Outfit 2: button-up shirt, pants, touque, parka.

Maybe add some summer/winter boots.

Characters switch automatically as appropriate once outfits have been set up and stored in the wardrobe.