I think I'm doing something wrong...

Started by MeatHaven, March 10, 2015, 01:55:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MeatHaven

So uh, I made a Hydroponics Basin room and even with 8 heaters at 76F still says "cold season"
What do

NoImageAvailable

"The power of friendship destroyed the jellyfish."

MeatHaven

Quote from: NoImageAvailable on March 10, 2015, 01:58:01 PM
Looks like you lack roof supports.
Oh I'm so dumb. been wondering why that shadow is there.

Boboid

That hydro design is a major power drain too - That's actually HALF the capacity of 4 sun lamps.

Here are the two most efficient hydro setups - https://www.dropbox.com/s/7f7whjs82mq5gox/screenshot18.png?dl=0

With incorporated roof supports.
Personally I'd suggest the 16 basin design as the 24 basin design requires your colonists to crawl over the basins and that's pretty slow, space would have to be at an absolute premium for it to be more efficient.
A prison yard is certainly a slightly more elegant solution to Cabin Fever than mine...

I just chop their legs off... legless prisoners don't suffer cabin fever

Cazakatari

Of course I prefer to not even bother with hydroponics and just have a roof/heat/light over soil.  Much cheaper that way, and make sure a squirrel doesn't break down the door during winter.  Had that happen to me once, temperature equalized faster than a super-sonic jet.  Poor 'taters never saw it coming :(

Vexare

Quote from: Boboid on March 10, 2015, 02:17:33 PM
That hydro design is a major power drain too - That's actually HALF the capacity of 4 sun lamps.

Here are the two most efficient hydro setups - https://www.dropbox.com/s/7f7whjs82mq5gox/screenshot18.png?dl=0

Personally I'd suggest the 16 basin design as the 24 basin design requires your colonists to crawl over the basins and that's pretty slow, space would have to be at an absolute premium for it to be more efficient.

Oh thanks for sharing that - nice layout! I too don't see how the 24 basin design is better if they have to snail their way over top of them to carry every basket of produce away during harvest. I'd rather have less basins and faster production speed I guess.

Boboid

Yeh I agree that the 24 setup is questionable. As I said if manpower is high and space is low it *might* be better.. maybe.. but I'm struggling to imagine a situation where space is *that* tight.

Interestingly when they harvest them all the produce will spill out onto empty tiles so they won't have to haul them off basins, they will however have to crawl on them to plant and to harvest.
A prison yard is certainly a slightly more elegant solution to Cabin Fever than mine...

I just chop their legs off... legless prisoners don't suffer cabin fever

BetaSpectre

Quote from: Boboid on March 10, 2015, 08:39:16 PM
Yeh I agree that the 24 setup is questionable. As I said if manpower is high and space is low it *might* be better.. maybe.. but I'm struggling to imagine a situation where space is *that* tight.

Interestingly when they harvest them all the produce will spill out onto empty tiles so they won't have to haul them off basins, they will however have to crawl on them to plant and to harvest.
Mountain homes could require more space due to limited protected roof areas.
This could then allow open roof areas to become drop zone kill boxes. Though that's about as situational as it should get.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

Darkhymn

It's worth mentioning that the 16 basin design can have two more basins added on the horizontals without restricting access to the plants, though as it may result in a bit more walking, I can't say whether it would actually be less efficient. I've never tried it because it's unattractive lol.

Coenmcj

Quote from: Darkhymn on March 11, 2015, 01:36:26 AM

It's worth mentioning that the 16 basin design can have two more basins added on the horizontals without restricting access to the plants, though as it may result in a bit more walking, I can't say whether it would actually be less efficient. I've never tried it because it's unattractive lol.
It's a tad ugly yeah, but it definitely works. Someone on the Reddit posted a topic about it ages ago. It's hands down the best space to Light ratio without making people walk over tables.
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

b0rsuk

Why do you even use hydroponic table if you have good soil ? Just put a roof there, some sunlamps and heat and plant. Now it's too late because of the wooden floor, but you could do it elsewhere. I'd put hydroponics in a cavern, or a room built from stone. That wooden cabin can burn down any minute, and all the expensive equipment inside....