Putting your colonists through Med School

Started by antibodee, March 30, 2015, 03:33:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

antibodee

I've always had a problem with doctors on the current map that I'm playing.  When I find decent ones, they usually have mental problems that cause them to wonder off and die, and half my colony is stricken with one form of irreparable injury or another. But, as my colony has gotten large enough that I don't need any more people, I've come up with a solution to keep the winners in top shape with the best doctors. 

First I started a medical practice ward, but I realized that transplanting organs doesn't give skill experience.

Then I built a a prison barracks very long and slender with a turret at one end.  Adjacent is a prisoner hospital to usher the wounded out.  I stockpile my useless tribal prisoners into this room and everytime a hospital bed opens up, I open a four round burst on the group.  They almost never die doing it, but my doctors, even with no passion, are flying up in skill.

How do you train your doctors?

BetaSpectre

I have a dungeon. Lots of surgery. Lots of wounded prisoners. Lots of practice. They also increase their social via wardening too. Makes for good negotiations.

I prefer not to force shoot because its not needed on my difficulty raids are common enough. and ~10 is enough Doc skill for everyone lol
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

lusername

Running your own Abu Ghraib is pretty much the only consistent method of getting medical skill practice in the vanilla game. Otherwise, the decay rate quickly overcomes the rate at which you occasionally have to treat a colonist from locally occurring plagues and animal bites, and if it doesn't, your colony is probably doomed as everyone is being shot to death rapidly.

Turps

Putting bullets into the prisoners to train doctors is completely evil. I will have to set up a training facility at once! thanks for the cool idea. Laters
Its not a battle unless some limbs are getting shot off!

lusername

I suggest beatings with blunt instruments instead. They're more controllable and less likely to cause accidental death or having your prisoners bleed out should the doctor take too long. Pawns cannot aim and their bullets go EVERYWHERE and may damage things.

MsMeiriona

Easier to let them meele a squirrel or two and get patched up, assuming you have plenty of herbal meds on hand.  Bullets have a bad habit of hitting the brain.

antibodee

Actually, it doesnt matter when they hit things.  I only do one burst of fire from the turret and its into a group of guys.  I've only had one death so far, and that was me trying to see how many bandages I can get on one guy at once (pretty sure it caps you out before you have a screen to scroll from and just kills them).

4 shots simply isn't enough to kill anyone.  If you keep the game speed slow, and keep your thumb on the spacebar, and nobody will ever die. It's also not enough to do any damage to the base.  I've yet to break a single thing, and repairing trains the construction skill.

antibodee

Also, I don't use medicine.  This is at the point in the game where you don't want anymore people.  I'm almost up to 50 and the game lag is so bad it's crazy.  And when you hit that point, organ harvesting is no longer worth it.  Too much mood drawback, so executing by turret is the best way to go out anyways.  Also, I don't use medicine on prisoners.

b0rsuk

Is there an official statement by Tynan on the Medicine training skill ? The current rate looks like a simple oversight.  I mean, I had a colonist with a burning passion for medicine since the beginning and he failed to learn a single level of Medicine. Something isn't right. You might as well remove the possibility of passion for medicine, because it's misleading.

MsMeiriona

Quote from: b0rsuk on March 30, 2015, 11:51:46 AM
Is there an official statement by Tynan on the Medicine training skill ? The current rate looks like a simple oversight.  I mean, I had a colonist with a burning passion for medicine since the beginning and he failed to learn a single level of Medicine. Something isn't right. You might as well remove the possibility of passion for medicine, because it's misleading.
Doesn't passion impact how much you gain from using a neurotrainer, though?

milon

As others have said, blunt melee beatings for prisoners and melee hunting duty for colonists.  Then doctor them up with herbal medicine.