Help dealing with difficult spike

Started by ShadowWolfAlpha, April 15, 2015, 08:08:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShadowWolfAlpha

Hey,

I play with the increasingly difficult story teller + challenger difficulty, and everything is great at the start. The enenmies appear at a frequent rate, with initially small groups but then increasing upwards. I can deal with them all with my killbox, however...

Eventually they spawn a large group of shielded pirates + mortars. Then I am screwed. I can't shoot the guys, because of the shields, and my own mortars are so inaccurate that I can't return fire.
Hell when the AI core spawns, I can't even do anything due to the iaccuracy of my own snipers (They have shooting at 15 and they constantly miss their shots).

Eventually my own killbox can't handle the shielders as they blow one turret up and the rest get blown up in a domino-like wave.

Are there any tips out there to help a noob like me in combat? Need that tips :(

Thx

SWA

Telarin

My solution is to put enough mortars into operation to make up for the inaccuracy. If you saturate an area with enough shells, you are bound to hit something sooner or later. It is very satisfying when you happen to hit their pile of shells sitting next to the mortar they are constructing. That is usually enough to make them break the siege and attack.

Stan-K

Level 15 snipers should be able too hit targets often enough to break through shields.

That is if their weapon is reasonable, and their eye sight and manipulation are good. (EDIT: and consciousness)

To prevent the domino effect, you can build walls in between the turrets. One block can already stop the wave if they are build in a straight line. I would opt for stone ones, not sure if wood would suffice.

EscapeZeppelin

Quote from: Telarin on April 15, 2015, 10:17:37 AM
My solution is to put enough mortars into operation to make up for the inaccuracy. If you saturate an area with enough shells, you are bound to hit something sooner or later. It is very satisfying when you happen to hit their pile of shells sitting next to the mortar they are constructing. That is usually enough to make them break the siege and attack.

I do the same thing. Mix a couple of incendiary mortars in the mix to start fires and keep them busy and reduce their firing rate.

Cimm0

Quote from: Telarin on April 15, 2015, 10:17:37 AM

This.

You have time and you have mortars and the most logical thing to do is to fire as many rounds as you can in the shortest time possible.

And don't think too logically, think crazy. 10 mortars? No. How about 20? 30? 50? That sounds right.

There's a limit when an area is going to get blasted no matter how many enemies there are and you just need to get to that point by building more mortars.