Why loosing liver = instant death?

Started by Adamiks, June 05, 2015, 11:00:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

delraith

Quote from: NoImageAvailable on June 05, 2015, 12:39:56 PM
There's a lot of blood going through the liver, if it were to be destroyed, you'd bleed out before you could ever reach the hospital. And that is really all that is relevant for gameplay, can the colonist get a transplant before dying?

Your liver is pretty big, if it was totally and utterly destroyed you would die from having a hole the size of a grapefruit going through you. People have survived incredible amounts of blood loss (having multiple limbs lost and/or and organs ruptured). In actual combat liver perforations are not that uncommon, and plenty of soldiers live through it. You would not die immediately.

But I guess the distinction is in defining what "destroyed" is. It would be nice if organs could be in a failing or damaged state and the colonist would need transplant or would die. Obviously if a colonist had most of their abdominal cavity shot out they would die near immediately.

NoImageAvailable

Quote from: delraith on June 09, 2015, 04:02:45 PM
There's a lot of blood going through the liver, if it were to be destroyed, you'd bleed out before you could ever reach the hospital. And that is really all that is relevant for gameplay, can the colonist get a transplant before dying?

Your liver is pretty big, if it was totally and utterly destroyed you would die from having a hole the size of a grapefruit going through you. People have survived incredible amounts of blood loss (having multiple limbs lost and/or and organs ruptured). In actual combat liver perforations are not that uncommon, and plenty of soldiers live through it. You would not die immediately.

But I guess the distinction is in defining what "destroyed" is. It would be nice if organs could be in a failing or damaged state and the colonist would need transplant or would die. Obviously if a colonist had most of their abdominal cavity shot out they would die near immediately.

That's what I mean though, if it says destroyed I take that to mean the organ is almost completely gone, torn to pieces or otherwise completely and irreparably damaged. Considering the extent of the damage you would be dead within seconds and there would be little a medic would be able to do to stop a fist-sized hole in your chest from bleeding. Although I agree that a third state between regular damage and completely destroyed would be nice.
"The power of friendship destroyed the jellyfish."

Vas

I still just want people to be fully harvest-able.  No more instant deaths, give a time before death.  :P

Quote from: Adamiks on June 09, 2015, 05:58:54 AMYep, so true. I = brain. All "me" is in "my" brain (or in "me", because "me" is in the brain). No place for soul, sorry! ;D

On an interesting note, I read somewhere that some people who go through a heart transplant develop something where they no longer feel like they are alive.  That their soul has left their body and that they are already dead, a shell just walking around.  As if the heart has some direct control over the brain and the way it works, other than just pumping blood around.
Click to see my steam. I'm a lazy modder who takes long breaks and everyone seems to hate.

Adamiks

Quote from: Vas on June 10, 2015, 01:40:39 PM
I still just want people to be fully harvest-able.  No more instant deaths, give a time before death.  :P

Quote from: Adamiks on June 09, 2015, 05:58:54 AMYep, so true. I = brain. All "me" is in "my" brain (or in "me", because "me" is in the brain). No place for soul, sorry! ;D

On an interesting note, I read somewhere that some people who go through a heart transplant develop something where they no longer feel like they are alive.  That their soul has left their body and that they are already dead, a shell just walking around.  As if the heart has some direct control over the brain and the way it works, other than just pumping blood around.

Scientists discovered that heart have nervous cells too ;)

Jimyoda

While we're mentioning the heart, did you know that your heart started out not looking at all like a heart, but rather just a couple of tubes?

Quote from: Rahjital on July 09, 2015, 03:09:55 PM
"I don't like that farmers chop people up."

Obviously she has already played Rimworld :P

Read the wiki. Edit the wiki. Let the wiki be your guide.
http://rimworldwiki.com/

Adamiks

Quote from: Jimyoda on June 10, 2015, 03:10:36 PM
While we're mentioning the heart, did you know that your heart started out not looking at all like a heart, but rather just a couple of tubes?

Yes.

Lady Wolf

It's also worth bearing in mind the shock of a traumatic injury can cause people to die moments later, even if the injury itself would not be immediately fatal.

As far as harvesting goes, the bodies should still be harvest able for a short time after they die, since in real life organ donor organs are still viable for a few hours and are removed from deceased patients. (sometimes with a delay of up to an hour while the cadaver is transferred from the accident site to a hospital for organ removal.)

delraith

Quote from: Lady Wolf on June 10, 2015, 07:26:11 PM
It's also worth bearing in mind the shock of a traumatic injury can cause people to die moments later, even if the injury itself would not be immediately fatal.

As far as harvesting goes, the bodies should still be harvest able for a short time after they die, since in real life organ donor organs are still viable for a few hours and are removed from deceased patients. (sometimes with a delay of up to an hour while the cadaver is transferred from the accident site to a hospital for organ removal.)

Yea, good point.

For harvesting, if they have a third quality state (i.e. "Fresh" or "Harvest-able" then "Decaying" then "Rotting"), the new quality state would allow the dead pawn to be interacted with medically and have bills added to it. After the new state expires (a few hours?) then the corpse can no longer have bills added to it nor be medically interacted with.

How hard would this be to implement? Anyone mod-savvy enough to give it a whirl?

delraith

That's what I mean though, if it says destroyed I take that to mean the organ is almost completely gone, torn to pieces or otherwise completely and irreparably damaged. Considering the extent of the damage you would be dead within seconds and there would be little a medic would be able to do to stop a fist-sized hole in your chest from bleeding. Although I agree that a third state between regular damage and completely destroyed would be nice.
Taking a step back to what was being talked about before with the destroyed liver/stomach, if either of these being destroyed equates to a huge hole in your abdomen, wouldn't a destroyed kidney be in the same boat? Don't get me started on a destroyed lung ;P

It would be nice to clean up the consistency.

Adamiks

Quote from: NoImageAvailable on June 09, 2015, 05:40:35 PM
Quote from: delraith on June 09, 2015, 04:02:45 PM

There are bullets that can make only small hole in your torso but literally f*** up your organs.