100% sure way to grow Devilstrand in hydroponics

Started by b0rsuk, September 06, 2015, 05:22:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

b0rsuk

Devilstrand takes 28* days to grow in hydroponics.
Solar flare minimum time before repeat: 30 days.

1. Wait until solar flare.
2. Immediately switch your entire hydroponics to devilstrand.
3. Protect hydroponics from faulty circuits, mortars, exploding batteries.
4. Harvest devilstrand.
5. Plant something else.

* according to the wiki, which might or might not be up to date.

Expected yield is 3 * plant, so 12 devilstrand per table.

zandadoum

well, i have a comment and a question

1) comment: when i do grow DS, i just use soiled floor+walls/roof+sunlamp+heater ... it takes a bit longer but much more secure

2) what is the point in DS actually? i never really cared for it as there are so many other materials to craft or make money from, i never thought DS would be worth the effort

b0rsuk

You're the expert playing Extreme storytellers, you tell us! :P

I don't exactly remember the stats of devilstrand, but it's very durable. It's the toughest material you can mass produce. It was implemented early, before tough materials like thrumbofur were made available. Thrumbofur can be obtained with minimum effort (I mean, you have some guards ? You have several turrets ?), even if the yield is not as huge as with a huge devilstrand field.
I think devilstrand is somewhere between synthread and thrumbofur when it comes to sharp resistance. Unfortunately it's no better than cloth at insulation, and flammable. That being said, Rimworld currently has no crafting materials which are not flammable (uranium, but you can't make a shirt out of it). And naked colonists burn for some reason, I don't think inflammable material would help.

Vault101

I had plenty of solar flares that killed devilstrand before it grew this way. In fact there was a string of 3-4 batches IN A ROW that got destroyed. All planted right after solar flares.

Sometimes you get unlucky, c'est la vie.

@zandadoum devilstrand is by far best material for additional protection against bullets (with quality shirts/pants protecting by 25-35%). It's very much worth it unless you play on low difficulty

zandadoum

well... because of my playstyle i haven't really cared about crafting materials... gazillion of hours (i think over 800) into the game, never cared about min/maxing my colonists because my playstyle is just "don't even get hit" using bait, cover and whatnot.

however as AI is improving with every patch, i want to get into it and understand it better (i am not much of a theory crafter myself, i test thing with practice) and currently i am running a colony with just a few hand selected colonists, and i want every one of them to be as strong as possible. alltho i have plenty of animals to stay with my "don't even get hit" playstyle.

but for what you're telling me, thrumbofur would still be a better option. this is OFC not viable in a huge colony, but with my current <10 people colony i think i can actually pull off to gear every one with it.

anyways, your post made me rething DS and i might get into growing it again... but not with hydroponics xD

b0rsuk

You get a level20 crafter by farming cotton. Low level crafters can even lose money, so it's best to use cheap materials, early on it's more profitable to sell cloth directly.

You can make amazing money if you have a level20 crafter. Woolen parkas(120 material) exceed $1000 market value sometimes, alpacas are good.
Plasteel longswords sell for thousands depending on quality, can go up to 10.000 (market value, not selling price) for a masterwork. I'd say it's better than plasteel sculptures. I'm playing the biggest map for the first time, and I have two big plasteel veins left after building my ship.
This means mechanoid raids are hugely profitable if you have a godlike crafter!
Golden shivs reach insane prices, too. If you somehow get 800 gold or uranium, you might craft a club or knife instead. Alas, there is no 20 material weapon to craft.

The average quality by skill 20 crafter/builder/artist seems to be Superior. Normal, Poor are very rare.

zandadoum

well, i make a fortune selling human meat and leather... before i did that i usually made a lot of money with huge potato farms (simple, but easy) that's why i never cared for crafting: it was too easy to make money otherwise

now having furniture and cloth factoring more and more into colonists mood, i am starting to look at crafting closer. i have a couple of lvl20, so should be no problem.

b0rsuk

Furniture is governed by Construction, and you can't sell any furniture. I think you can buy some.

Simon_The_Space_Engineer

I don't think I have seen furniture for sale in rimworld before but then again I don't really pay attention to those kinds of things. Also I train my people but don't try to over power there skills for money because I think it kinda ruins the fun of the game... Besides if you despratly need some money right that I stand just go into the dev tool menu and spawn stacks of 500 gold/silver
In the end, we all make the same leather hats.

TLHeart

Don't know where those wiki figures came from.

Devisltrand takes 45 days of full light and temperature to grow. It also rests for 12 hours per day, ie no growth. There for it take 90 days to fully grow.

Hydroponics increases the growth rate to 128% which reduces the grow time to 32.4 grow days, or 64.8 actual days to fully grown.

Darkfirephoenix

Quote from: TLHeart on September 06, 2015, 11:07:46 AM
Don't know where those wiki figures came from.

Devisltrand takes 45 days of full light and temperature to grow. It also rests for 12 hours per day, ie no growth. There for it take 90 days to fully grow.

Hydroponics increases the growth rate to 128% which reduces the grow time to 32.4 grow days, or 64.8 actual days to fully grown.
The hydroponics data is outdated as the hydroponics tables now ALSO have qualities. A shoddy one gives more than normal soil but less than rich soil, while you can get tables which go to 150% or higher (I have a excellent one which has... 148% I think)

RemingtonRyder

Quote from: Darkfirephoenix on September 06, 2015, 05:12:36 PM
The hydroponics data is outdated as the hydroponics tables now ALSO have qualities. A shoddy one gives more than normal soil but less than rich soil, while you can get tables which go to 150% or higher (I have a excellent one which has... 148% I think)

Are you sure that's a vanilla hydroponics table, because I'm looking at one now and it doesn't have a quality at all.

Darkfirephoenix

Quote from: MarvinKosh on September 06, 2015, 05:29:32 PM
Quote from: Darkfirephoenix on September 06, 2015, 05:12:36 PM

Are you sure that's a vanilla hydroponics table, because I'm looking at one now and it doesn't have a quality at all.
Hrmm it may be a modded one... I HAVE a modpack installed but I'm not 100% sure what comes from a mod... I usually don't use hydroponics in the vanilla game as I either don't get to them before the colony dies OR I already have enough growing spac (in combination with sunlamps)

b0rsuk

People dismissing vanilla to the point of not knowing what's in it are funny.

Nebbie

I don't think hydroponics tables are really worth it currently, certainly not for devilstrand. Even on a map with only June/July as the growing period, you can easily wall up your crops and keep them heated and lit.

As for why to use devilstrand, it's great in hotter environments because it doesn't raise the colonist temperature too much, but it stops bullets. Since you can't craft any actual armor, it's good to make some devilstrand hats and shirts.
It's also a nice stylish red. Boomrat leather is too hard to get in large quantities and is the only other red clothing material.