Refrigeration Question

Started by Jaz_B, April 13, 2016, 04:52:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaz_B

I've just started dabbling with Rimworld again after a long time to allow updates to make significant progress in gameplay. Have to say I love the progress the game has made and it has been a fun journey learning all the new stuff that has been added since the last time I played.

I do have a question about refrigeration that I couldn't find an answer to with a search. I created a freezer and now have a lot of frozen food to last through the year, which is great. However, when the colonists move the food to the hopper it starts to decay as expected. I don't want to put the paste machine in the freezer because it would make the room a little to big for my tastes. Is it possible to build walls up to the paste dispenser and have the other side set up to freeze without temperature leaking into the other room?

Not sure if i explained the question clearly enough so below is my idea. The X's are the paste dispenser, the dashes are the wall, and the I's are the hoppers. The room where the I's are would be the freezer to keep everything fresh. On the other side is the dining room. Will it be considered a "closed room" and prevent the freezing air from seeping into the dining room?

XXXX
      XXXX
-----XXXX-----
        II

jaeden25

I'm not sure you can. I would suggest only having 1 hopper to minimize the amount of food that could spoil. Personally I always like to have a huge freezer so I can make a ton of meals to sell to traders at the beginning of the game.

Rahjital

Should be possible, it did work in the previous alphas at least. Very useful especially in prisons, so that your colonists don't have to go inside.

Limdood

it works, i've used it in alpha 13. 

Jaz_B

Awesome. Glad to hear that it works. Thanks everyone.

onixbg

All of the big buildings count as "wall". Even the communication console can act like a wall. It's hard to create 3d world in a 2d game.

ChimpX

Yup, build the dispenser so the hopper's in the freezer and the goo dispenser's in the mess hall.