Ice Base Boredom

Started by Shurp, March 30, 2016, 10:04:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shurp

So I've built what I imagine to be a pretty impregnable ice fortress, and my colonists are wandering about in boredom waiting for the next crop of hops to be ready for harvesting.  The last sapper attack was hilarious -- they opened the mechanoid ancient danger and got themselves incinerated.  I'm waiting for a chance to try out my newly installed mortars, but beyond that there's not a lot happening here.

Any suggestions on what I should do next?  I'm playing vanilla btw.

[attachment deleted by admin - too old]
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Thane

Flooring, Royal beds, A serious rec room, Double airlock doors, Double walls all around. Sandbags/ defensive sniper positions, Shroud those mortars with some sorta wall! (you don't want to know what happens when one blows up in that configuration). MOAR Storage and finally Build a decent ship, don't go for a toothpick ship. Make something that can fly!

One decent tribal raid, or mech swarm and that colony is done.
It is regular practice to install peg legs and dentures on anyone you don't like around here. Think about that.

Shurp

The turrets are 4 squares away from each other.  Perfect for blowing up one at a time and slaughtering manhunting wargs by the dozens.  And besides I made peace with the tribals long ago.  No, nothing gets through that line -- anyone that comes in the walls targets the turrets, and my squad standing out in the open behind with sniper rifles fills them with holes.

But you're right, it is ugly as hell... maybe I could invest in carpeting.  But why bother if I'm going to build a ship?  Also I'm not sure how to protect the ship from sappers.

If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

GuesUserNameGUN

You need much better defenses. like thane said, a mech swarm could easily take you out. get a lot more guns, protected by sandbags. you can also have guns with 1 space between them and not have them blow eachother up if you put a wall inbetween them. expand battery room, if you get an eclipse and the wind dies at the same time, you will run out pretty fast. more storage aswell, after that build a ship and start over, or get some harder mods on that save. if you dont wanna do mods, ramp up the difficulty by going to game options then change the storyteller.

Shurp

I'm playing on vanilla... I think you're underestimating my firepower.  I have 16 colonists armed with sniper rifles.  I've been attacked by mech squads already.  The centipedes can't hit anything and my snipers take down the scythers quickly.  The only reason the turrets are there is to draw fire so my colonists don't get shot at.

Ship part landings by comparison are a major pain because the mechs actually shoot my colonists.  Very annoying.

And I have three geo power plants and 12 batteries, I rarely run out of juice. My turrets are all turned off between battles, and if my power gets below 50% I just turn out all the sun lamps.  (Crops survive as long as they have heat)

Thane

What's your difficulty at? Gues and I are probably speaking from experience as RR extreme players. Also, that is the warmest Ice Sheet ever! It actually gets above -30C. Get on my level son!
It is regular practice to install peg legs and dentures on anyone you don't like around here. Think about that.

Shurp

Difficulty is Cassandra Extreme - but I'm playing vanilla, not Extreme Wowza Mega Mod.  But like you say, it's a pretty warm ice sheet.  In August I often have to turn on the cooler to my freezer because it's a balmy +5'C outside.  :)

GuesUserNameGUN

On my current world even though i have  cassandra on extreme, nothing can touch me lol. i have over 22k food which means noone can touch me pretty much. i have had to expand my food storage over 7 times, its insane lol.

Thane

Used a seed where it never gets above -40C during the course of the year and winter it gets to about -90C. Food and power are both constant issues, as well as maintaining clothing of high enough quality to keep fingers and toes from falling off. Man hunters are never an issue though. No animal can survive more than a day here.

In fact, man hunter packs are one of my primary sources of my food. I cannot hope to power enough hydroponics and heaters to keep my 20+ people alive even with 5 geothermals and a sizeable wind farm. So I have to choose heat over reliable food. The Bulk goods traders love me. I am a very good customer.