eggs (fert)

Started by Azrell, July 30, 2016, 01:37:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Azrell

So since the last patch, hatching fertilized eggs no longer produces a tame bird. A crashed pod gave me 150 eggs that i locked away to hatch now i have 150 birds wandering my cooler eating my food and no real way to force them out into the wilderness...

blongo

I am dying of laughter :D  . i wish i had some worthwhile solution for you :(

Mikhail Reign

Its a strange quirk that happens. If you have tamed birds lay eggs, the hatched animals are tamed. If you find fert eggs, the hatched animals are wild. I've had the exact same thing happen. If its any consolation, birds tame quickly and since they are where the food is, its its a quick process.

The Colony Manager mod can actually automate the whole processes....

Kagemusha12

I should add that fertilized eggs you buy from a trader also are tamed.

LOL @the 150 wild birds in your fridge :D

cultist

This was in A13 as well. I bought some cobra eggs from a trader in A13, thinking I was going to make myself a little snake army. Turns out they hatched, were just as angry as you'd expect baby snakes to be, and proceeded to murder my colony pet, which sent the owner into a mental break which.... well, you can imagine the rest. The only thing missing was this playing in the background:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cepV5f2-MaU

Mikhail Reign

Quote from: Kagemusha12 on July 30, 2016, 03:56:25 AM

Last time I checked, brought eggs also started untamed, although I do remember reading someone posting about it, and it may have been addressed.

Kagemusha12

Quote from: Mikhail Reign on July 30, 2016, 05:47:55 AM
Quote from: Kagemusha12 on July 30, 2016, 03:56:25 AM

Last time I checked, brought eggs also started untamed, although I do remember reading someone posting about it, and it may have been addressed.

Well, I can say for sure certain that all the birds that hatched from the 5 fertilized Emu eggs I bought from a trading caravan were tamed

Shurp

Solution to your bird problem:

1) Move all your food to another freezer
2) lob Molotov cocktails in to burn out the birds.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

BlackSmokeDMax

Quote from: Shurp on July 30, 2016, 09:27:55 AM
Solution to your bird problem:

1) Move all your food to another freezer
2) lob Molotov cocktails in to burn out the birds.

Or get in there with a melee weapon and go all stabby stabby on them!

stigma

If the birds are all in your freezer then the problem solves itself - they have basically gone through the hassle of refrigerating their own carcasses so you can slaughter them later at your leisure. Won't be long until they die of hypothermia.

I've seen this happen before too. I don't think it is a bug, but rather a necessary feature. eggs laid from untamed animals do not produce tame animals. This includes any eggs you start a scenario with. I guess it has to be this way because eggs can be produced by wild animals too (actually, remind me to steal some later).

I'm not quite sure about how it works with traders. Havent bought any fertilized eggs from traders in A14 yet I think.

-Stigma

Azrell

ahh that makes more .... yeah i found them from a pod. iv only got eggs from traders up till now.

oh i and i just shot most of them, but managed to tame like 3. but after a back to back fallout event those plucky little bird lovers are gone now.

Shian

I've bought eggs from traders and can confirm they are tamed when they hatch.

All 250 of them that I had to herd into the barn zones before they ate ALL of my colony's food...