Trouble with Drug Policies

Started by MikeLemmer, September 16, 2016, 05:33:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeLemmer

I'm having trouble setting up drug policies for initial colonists with addictions, namely getting them to ration out their limited supply of drugs and only take them right before they go into withdrawal. For instance, I set my alcohol addict to "Once Every 2 Days" and "Only if Mood is below 35%", but his mood can drop to 23% while he's going into withdrawal and he still won't drink it. I end up having to manually order him to drink each time.

As another example, I had a Wanderer join my colony with a Luciferium addiction. I bought 10 more Luciferium to get him through a year of steady doses. I set him up to take 1 every 5 days and always keep a stock of 15 on him. (I had 4 Chemically Fascinated colonists as well and didn't want them stealing it from the stockpile instead.) He never took more Luciferium out of the stockpile and only kept the 3 he started with, although he seemed to take them regularly every 5 days like scheduled.

Am I doing something wrong with the setup of these policies? Or is it bugs in the drug policy implementation?

carbon

I was under the impression luciferium binging was patched out (since it really isn't a recreational drug), so I don't think you need to worry about others foolishly dosing themselves.

I'm pretty sure the "amount to take" number is how much they pick up when they run out and need to grab more from a stockpile. Given that the luciferium addict still hasn't run out yet, they haven't needed to grab more. The idea behind that function is to limit the number of trips to the stockpile.

---

I don't know how the mood level trigger interacts with the timing, but I'm going to guess Both have to be set to TRUE (condition met) for them to take more.

Hypothetical Example: Alcohol dependence causes withdrawal every 1.5 days. You've set them to 'once every 2 days' and 'below X mood'. When they go into withdrawal they trigger the mood component of the requirement, but not the time component, so they are sitting there hoping to make it to 2.0 days passed to take another drink.

So what you want to do is put them on whatever time setting is slightly shorter than the time to withdrawal, plus a mood trigger to detect the onset of withdrawal.