You doing the raids

Started by TomatoWalrus, September 22, 2016, 03:05:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomatoWalrus

I thought it would be a nice feature that you could do raids against other factions  ::). I don't really know how the travelling to the other colony would work, maybe there would be a screen where you choose who you'll send and how many days it would take to travel there. You would have to leave at least one colonist in your colony. Maybe you could train your animals so you can ride them, so the travelling would take less time. You would of course have to take some food with you, pemmican would be the best decision I guess. Maybe it would be a late game thing to do the raids against other factions, but yeah that's my suggestion  ;D
Murphys law:
If something can go wrong, it will go wrong.
RimWorld can be an ass sometimes

O Negative

Before some jerk comes in and rants at you:

While your idea would offer a great deal of fun to the game, I'm afraid the likelihood of it becoming a thing is pretty much zero.

You'll find that what you've suggested has actually been a topic of discussion in quite a few threads. Refer to the "Frequent Suggestions Topic!" thread, and you'll see what I'm talking about :)

TomatoWalrus

Oh. Well sorry then. I tried to look if someone had made a post about this but didn't find anything so I posted it. Sorry!
Murphys law:

O Negative

No need to apologize, friend. Lots of people make the same innocent mistake. :)

There are just a lot of rather impatient individuals probing these forums for posts like yours, ready to make you feel like the scum of the Earth. Just wanted to beat them to ya ;)

TomatoWalrus

Murphys law:

MikeLemmer

Given the fatality rate on most enemy raids, plus their seemingly endless supply of mooks, I doubt it would end well for the colonies doing the raiding.

TomatoWalrus

Yeah, if you attacked their base there would be many people defending it, but I thought if the enemies would have outpost or something like that and in the outposts doesn't have many people defending it. When you attack you can steal their supplies or kidnap people like raiders do to you. Also if you attacked the enemies base, there would be a chance that a few people has left to do a raid against another faction. But yeah, this would be a big project to do. It would be so cool though ;D Maybe someone could do a mod ::)
Murphys law:

Viewer

Sorry for the thread necromancy, but there appears to be a mod which uses this principle - Misc. Incidents. The way it works is that every so often, a window will pop up saying something along the lines of "Bob from FriendlyTribe says that they heard rumors of an abandoned outpost which may have some valuable materials. Would you like to send colonists to investigate? If so, they will be gone for X days". When the colonists are chosen, they walk off the side of the map and disappear, in the same way as if they are kidnapped.

This mod is dependent on the Miscellaneous CORE mod to add the functionality, so that is something which will need to be introduced to the main game.

ChannelJohn

OTOH, maybe it's as "simple" (in quotes because, being a dev myself, I know things that are easy to say can be hard to do) as having a chance for small faction outposts to appear on your map.

E.g., maybe "The Wolves of Suffering" (the current jerks on my map) have small, defended outpost with a handful of guys living there, working it, etc. Early on, it might be hard to successfully raid them (their weapons, defenses, larger population than my starting population, etc), but later, as your colony grows and develops, it would become easier. And then you could take it over (like claiming ruins now).

Or maybe it's a friendly faction that has the outpost and you can do some limited trading with them -- giving you some very small amount of control over trade opportunities, should you be lucky enough to have a faction outpost appear on your map -- or choose to raid them anyway, doing significant, long-lasting damage to your relationship with their faction (which then starts raiding you semi-regularly or "declares war"). Decisions, decisions.

I get that there could be a hit to processing with extra AI being tracked/driven, but that's why I'd suggest keeping the outposts relatively small and balance the raiding you might do with the faction hit and increased raids on your base by that faction after you raid one of their outposts.