Firefoam for a good defence

Started by redindy, October 02, 2016, 12:04:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redindy

I am wondering if anyone has used the firefoam as a way to slow down enemies. Not because it stops fire but because after it explodes it leaves firefoam all over the place. And since that slows by 25% could you use it to slow down melee units attacking you? If you set it outside of the home area then it would stay their forever and seems like it could help with tribals.
I was about to make a joke about sodium, but Na

avilmask

OFWG

Not my idea, but I've used temporary storage areas to ring the base with chunks to slow down incoming melee dudes.
Quote from: sadpickle on August 01, 2018, 05:03:35 PM
I like how they saw the naked guy with no food and said, "what he needs is an SMG."

mumblemumble

Quote from: OFWG on October 02, 2016, 02:49:29 PM
Not my idea, but I've used temporary storage areas to ring the base with chunks to slow down incoming melee dudes.
This, chunks are free, plentiful.

They are also ugly, gaurenteeing a ugly environment mood hit, but for combat, its worth it imo.
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

Jimyoda

Quote from: redindy on October 02, 2016, 12:04:51 PM
And since that slows by 25% could you use it to slow down melee units attacking you?
True, pawns move about 75% of their normal speed. But, I'd like to compare that against stone chunks though because they're free (a popper is not) and you can relocate them. By looking at the xml, firefoam path cost is 5, whereas stone chunk's is 55. I'll try to test this when I can, but the numbers suggest that chunks are much slower to walk over.

Quote from: redindy on October 02, 2016, 12:04:51 PM
If you set it outside of the home area then it would stay their forever and seems like it could help with tribals.
Not necessarily. Rain and snow wash away foam, so it would require roofing.

But a room filled with firefoam may still be a great combat area / killbox, especially against centipedes with those very annoying inferno cannons.
Quote from: Rahjital on July 09, 2015, 03:09:55 PM
"I don't like that farmers chop people up."

Obviously she has already played Rimworld :P

Read the wiki. Edit the wiki. Let the wiki be your guide.
http://rimworldwiki.com/

Zhentar

Two other things to note is that chunks have <pathCostIgnoreRepeat>, and chunks provide cover.

carbon

As an alternative to this, could you tell a pawn to build concrete flooring, then, after they've hauled the metal to it, but before the actual construction, cancel the filled tiles. That should leave lumps of 1 steel over a wide area.

Steel slows movement, but has many advantages to firefoam (waterproof, cleaningproof, not ugly, etc.).

stu89pid

Quote from: carbon on October 03, 2016, 04:03:32 PM
As an alternative to this, could you tell a pawn to build concrete flooring, then, after they've hauled the metal to it, but before the actual construction, cancel the filled tiles. That should leave lumps of 1 steel over a wide area.

Steel slows movement, but has many advantages to firefoam (waterproof, cleaningproof, not ugly, etc.).

Now THIS is the kind of the outside-the-box thinking that rimworld encourages! Brilliant idea.

It would require a lot of micromanaging and timing the work order cancel so the tiles don't get built, but once the steel is down, you restrict your pawns from being able to enter the zone with steel so it can never be hauled away, then it should be more-or-less permanent. And I think steel is beauty neutral right? So this wouldn't give the same appearance penalty as slag or chunks right?

Great thought Carbon.

carbon

There isn't a need to restrict the area. Just forbid the steel.