Minor Suggestion: Replace Walls

Started by newboerg, December 11, 2016, 05:33:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

newboerg

It would be nice if it would be possible to replace walls with other walls. e.G. Wooden Walls with stone walls
I know i could tear down the first and place the latter, but its a lot of micro when there are roofs included.
ATM i tear down ever second wall and rebuild it, but its not that comfortable.

Maybe with a modifier during placement "Ctrl." or something like this and it will "overwrite" the existing walls.

keylocke

agree with this.

like how when you place doors/vents/coolers it automatically deconstructs the wall for you.

Thyme

You don't need to micro that much, depending on the size of your room. I usually tear down an entire wall, then replace it. You could temporarily place support pillars if your room is bigger, roofs hold 6 tiles (circular)
The pawn AI might mess it up if automated.

Sent from my HTC
I'm from Austria. If I offend you, it's usually inadvertently.
Snowmen army, Chemfuel Generator, Electric Stonecutting, Smelting Tweak

Rock5

There is JTReplaceWalls mod that makes it easy to replace walls but I think you will need to do it in 2 stages if you fear the roof will fall. Thyme is right that the AI might mess it up so it's better the player does it.
Rock5 [B18] Mods
- Butchers Can Count Meat
- Sun Lamp Planner
- JTZoneButtons
- RimSearch
- JTExport

keylocke

er. why would roof fall if deconstruction/construction is done similar to building coolers?

iirc, the process goes like this :

-builder goes and deconstructs 1 wall tile
-builder goes and gets material for construction
-builder builds the new building in place of previous building.
-done.

(though it would be more efficient if builder brings materials for new building, before deconstructing old building. this saves travel time coming back and forth to build site)

roof should't fall coz wall is just getting replaced as soon as they get deconstructed.
and the reason why this would be great is when trying to replace walls of a temperature controlled area like freezers.

it's a hassle to replace walls of freezers (or brewery) coz the temperature gets dissipated once you try to replace walls the old fashioned way.

anyways, i think this should be able to be done with anything.

ie : if you try to build a plasteel autodoor on top of your wooden door, then it would auto deconstruct wooden door and replace it with plasteel autodoor. in just one command from the player.

old fashioned way is : you need to tell them to deconstruct door, wait until finished, then order them again to build new door. that takes at least 2 commands from the player.

schizmo

I think this would remove the need to think and plan carefully around construction and remodeling, and would make it too easy to simply over build the colony and swap materials out later. I don't think it's necessary.

Rock5

Even if you could replace a wall in 1 step (there is a mod that does that) I think it's intended behavior that you deal with the consequences of the wall being removed before it builds the new one. I don't think it would be realistic to not loose your cool air when replacing a wall of your freezer.
Rock5 [B18] Mods
- Butchers Can Count Meat
- Sun Lamp Planner
- JTZoneButtons
- RimSearch
- JTExport

Thyme

That suggestion works for doors, not for entire walls. The constructor would be walking back and forth between The Wall and the stockpile 89% of the time. For temperated rooms I always use double walls. Non AC rooms have no trouble with missing walls, placing temporary pillars if needed. Replacing walls is generally done once per colony and shouldn't be too much of a hassle imo.

Sent from my HTC
I'm from Austria. If I offend you, it's usually inadvertently.
Snowmen army, Chemfuel Generator, Electric Stonecutting, Smelting Tweak