[A16] Inconvenience: Doctor treats self tamed animals

Started by Kerbin Dallas Multipass, April 01, 2017, 09:47:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kerbin Dallas Multipass

So, a turtle self-tamed at the other end of the map, got bitten by a panther and my doc started walking across the panther infested map to save that silly turtle.

Obviously not a bug but really inconvenient and a little bit illogical.

The only sensible remedy is to react to each and every self-tame message and manually set the animal's health tab and set it to no medical care.

Perhaps this could be smoothened out a little bit?

nccvoyager

Not a bug, it is WAD, but I do see how this could add micromanagement.

Perhaps having all self-tamed animals receive "no medical care" by default, but once they enter a "home zone" they are set to default "receive medical care."

This would stop a recently self-tamed animal that you may not necessarily want from getting your doctors killed when they try to respond to the animal being wounded on the other side of a hostile map, while maintaining the current value of not needing the micromanagement of manually setting self-tamed animals to receive medical care.

Unfortunately, this would mean that self-tamed animals that you do want would not receive medical care if they are wounded or downed before they can get back to the main colony, but a compromise is a compromise.

Illusion Distort

Would forcing new-tamed animal to a home zone help?

The animal would be closer to the doctors and it's less likely to be attacked since it will never use more than a few ingame hours to get home. Instead of spending days out near predators.
Or have a pop-up that allows to remove medical care and/or "force go to homezone".

Just my thoughts on the matter

EDIT: Medical care should be dissabled untill the animal reach homezone.

nccvoyager

It would seem that forcing newly self-tamed animals automatically to the home zone would help alleviate the issue with them being wounded on the other side of the map, yes.
Though, if they were wounded while headed towards the home zone, a doctor would still try to get to them out there.

Kerbin Dallas Multipass

Since the colonists do not know about the new self tamed animal and the player might have missed the message I would suggest that self tamed-animals stay in an undefined state (that would mean: no medical care) until the player interacts with them in any way. Assigning them to a zone would count as a player interaction imo.

ison

In A17 it will be possible to set default med care, so I think that should solve this. Thanks for reporting.