Hunger speed?

Started by InfinityKage, August 22, 2017, 06:28:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

InfinityKage

Is there anyway to tell the "Hunger speed" of something? Like how fast they burn calories or something. I swear some of my colonist or animals seems like they are gonna eat me out of house and home.

Serenity

Isn't the hunger rate listed on the info page together with all the other stats? Some animals are definitely hungrier than others.

InfinityKage

Quote from: Serenity on August 22, 2017, 07:04:45 PM
Isn't the hunger rate listed on the info page together with all the other stats? Some animals are definitely hungrier than others.

Not that I've ever seen. I know humans have a "Eating Speed" but I'm pretty sure that's just literally how fast they eat.

O Negative

I just checked and couldn't find anything, myself. Of course it's in the Assemblies, but that doesn't do a player much good. In order to be able to actually use information like that, though, the devs would need to show nutrition as a numerical capacity. For instance, in the hunger need you'd have a fraction like (50/100) for humans and (300/500) for bears or something. Then, in the info section you'd need a stat to accurately reflect how much that need goes down every day. For example, a stat for metabolism (-200 nutrition/day). Diseases like gut worms would then need to change that visible stat to something like (-300 nutrition/day).

I'd never payed too much attention to this, myself; but, now that you've brought it up I can see how this information could be useful.

zambasshik

Look under the needs tab. Hover over the food bar. That number is either the per day or twice per day. Cross that with whatever nutrition value of the food they eat and viola.

Also diseases and injuries affect this number. So a denture will cause the person to eat 30%? More food and same with a destroyed stomache and gut worms

O Negative

Quote from: zambasshik on August 22, 2017, 09:05:47 PM
Look under the needs tab. Hover over the food bar. That number is either the per day or twice per day. Cross that with whatever nutrition value of the food they eat and viola.

Also diseases and injuries affect this number. So a denture will cause the person to eat 30%? More food and same with a destroyed stomache and gut worms
Oh, wow. I didn't even realize. So yeah, the fraction thing is already there.

However, you're not quite right with respect to injuries affecting how much a person needs to eat. A person with a destroyed jaw/mandible and damaged stomach will require the same amount of nutrition as anybody else. They simply are almost completely incapable of eating at that point, and will likely slowly die of starvation.

Diseases, you are right about. Gut worms will quite literally force the pawn to eat much more than they normally would.

jamaicancastle

There are different stats associated with the hediffs in those cases. Dentures etc. affect your pawn's eating capacity, which in turn affects how long it takes to eat (I think). On the other hand, gut worms (and starvation and a few other effects) affect their hunger rate, which directly impacts how quickly their need bar decays.

cultist

In a similar vein, what effect does vomiting actually have? Does it simply deplete a part of the hunger bar, or does it affect hunger rate as well?

Oblitus

Vomiting depletes hunger bar.