Building Difficulty

Started by vagineer1, June 04, 2014, 05:04:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vagineer1

Is it just me or is building a whole lot more difficult? When I first started up Rimworld Alpha 4 and create a new game save there was no metal ore vein beside me, and building seems a whole lot slower. In Alpha 3 I was able to get a basic base going within the first few days (A few rooms for my colonists, a battery room and a few solar panels) now it seems that it is a lot harder and slower and (In my opinion, nothing against Tynan) more annoying.
You see this tank?

This tank is the epitome of "I'm going to destroy you"

This tank can make Chuck norris cry.

All hail the Takemikazuchi.

CountJeffrey

Well there is now a stone and wood economy in the game so if metal is hard to find on your map you could always go with wood or stone and only use the metal you can find on furniture, and vital necessities.

Edit: Yes I have noticed less metal in the maps I have played, I use wood economy to make buildings.

vagineer1

Quote from: CountJeffrey on June 04, 2014, 05:57:19 AM
Well there is now a stone and wood economy in the game so if metal is hard to find on your map you could always go with wood or stone and only use the metal you can find on furniture, and vital necessities.

Indeed, Though I wonder if it will be possible to put wiring inside of the log walls so I don't have to stream a wire through the door, and building a wood plank building takes a long time and is rather annoying.
You see this tank?

CountJeffrey

Quote from: vagineer1 on June 04, 2014, 05:59:59 AM
Indeed, Though I wonder if it will be possible to put wiring inside of the log walls so I don't have to stream a wire through the door, and building a wood plank building takes a long time and is rather annoying.

I think that wood planks are quite easy to achieve, I have built 3 buildings made fully of wooden walls (not logs) in about 30 mins of gameplay. I had logs for a small time before I started making planks but now that i have it going it's working rather well.

vagineer1

Quote from: CountJeffrey on June 04, 2014, 06:03:02 AM
Quote from: vagineer1 on June 04, 2014, 05:59:59 AM

I think that wood planks are quite easy to achieve, I have built 3 buildings made fully of wooden walls (not logs) in about 30 mins of gameplay. I had logs for a small time before I started making planks but now that i have it going it's working rather well.

On a side note, is food harder to get? It seems that my farm is producing no where near as much food as it did. And on my current save, my people are starving.
You see this tank?

Dajmin

What I think would be cool with the idea of putting cabling in wooden walls is a small risk of fire.  Either just with an overload or just randomly (albeit a tiny chance to avoid annoying everyone).  But wood and home made electricity is a recipe for disaster :)
DAJMIN
Playstation Network | Steam
Nerds by Day, Rock Stars by Night: The Rock Star Gamers

K.LINE

I think the issue with building at the moment is that there are too many steps to even really begin using stone and wood for construction. While a little more realistic it does slow the beginning building stages down.

To get Stone blocks (Without trading) - Build research table, research stonecutting, build stonecutting table, craft stone blocks. So that's juggling characters at one time or another to research, craft, and construct. While potentially having 1 person dedicated to growing and possibly 1 to mining, it's a lot to do.

Wood - Cut trees, build sawmill, craft logs into planks. Not as bad as stone since there is no research involved. Obviously it can catch on fire though haha

It does add some real initial challenge though, so I guess it depends on your preference, but I do agree it takes much longer. I think they lowered the initial drop rate of materials at the beginning, because there isn't nearly as much stuff when you start the game, especially metal.

sparda666

Quote from: Dajmin on June 04, 2014, 06:13:08 AM
What I think would be cool with the idea of putting cabling in wooden walls is a small risk of fire.  Either just with an overload or just randomly (albeit a tiny chance to avoid annoying everyone).  But wood and home made electricity is a recipe for disaster :)
I believe there is log walls and wood walls. IIRC wood walls have cabling in them.

However, I only played the first A4. I havent had time to try out the later ones and I know Tynan is thinking about merging planks and logs so Im not sure if this is still the case.

UrbanBourbon

I will strangle a thousand pirates, pry their weapons from their dead hands, and smelt them. I will haul a thousand tons of slag debris, one nugget at a time if necessary, and smelt it all as well, just to build that first comms console in this poor land void of metal ores. I will then chop the dead bodies of the fallen raiders, pack their meat in crates and trade it with the first cannibal ship that arrives, and in return receive all the metal their ship carries. I will use the metal I need and grind a thousand tons of it into dust, and disperse it all over these lands, just so that anyone who faces my fate in the future doesn't have to go through what I've been through. And then... Then the galaxy will pay for this treachery!

Tynan

Indeed, I was afraid of this. Adding more ways to build also makes it harder to build. I'll probably merge logs and planks for A5 just to simplify things.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Dr. Z

I like the new system with logs and planks. I always thought that the beginning was far to easy in former builds so I really like the wood eco and the reduced resouces (I think farming is also a lot slower and less productive).
Prasie the Squirrel!

Garen

Quote from: Tynan on June 04, 2014, 11:26:53 AM
Indeed, I was afraid of this. Adding more ways to build also makes it harder to build. I'll probably merge logs and planks for A5 just to simplify things.

What i would suggest is to have a version of the log wall that can use electricity, but requires 2 metal and maybe some extra logs as well.
it means players dont need to immediately rely on sawmills to have decent housing, but to have Safe and more cost efficient housing.

Dr. Z

Quote from: Garen on June 04, 2014, 01:57:05 PM

What i would suggest is to have a version of the log wall that can use electricity, but requires 2 metal and maybe some extra logs as well.
it means players dont need to immediately rely on sawmills to have decent housing, but to have Safe and more cost efficient housing.

Life is hard. It should be even longer till you can build walls that transmit power. This should be something to achieve and not to have availible right away.
Prasie the Squirrel!

vagineer1

Quote from: Dr. Z on June 04, 2014, 02:09:08 PM
Quote from: Garen on June 04, 2014, 01:57:05 PM

Life is hard. It should be even longer till you can build walls that transmit power. This should be something to achieve and not to have availible right away.

That may be true for you but others like myself don't like the current implementation of the wooden walls, if you were able to at least put wires inside of logs walls (And maybe up the amount of food produced by farms) Then I would be happy.
You see this tank?