RNG Challenge vs Punishing Feedback

Started by AxDeath, January 29, 2018, 11:52:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AxDeath

It was first outlined for me many years ago. If the players are walking through a cave and rocks fall and everyone dies, this is not an encounter. Similarly this question needs to be asked of every event in this game. When a group of bugs suddenly spawn in my kitchen without warning, this is just RNG Punishment rather than an interesting event or a challenging encounter. Same really goes for the poison ship. Or the downed refugee who is being sat on by 30 angry stags. The internal logic of the world is inconsistent. There is no forewarning of the difficulties that lie ahead or how to prepare. You cannot prepare for or even meet a challenge you had no knowledge of. Running out of food is a challenge we can prepare for. Temperature is a challenge we can prepare for. We can prepare for a Raid, having had the foreknowlege of previous smaller raids. We cannot prepare to discover that despite living on an island, some enemy we have never met, will send an infinite supply of bodies to our gates, all season long.

I know there is a huge fan base for this game just the way it is, but I dont think anything is lost by crafting the encounters a little more carefully. Or having them make any damn sense.

Calahan

I can't see anywhere in the text where you are reporting a bug(s). So I don't understand why you are posting this in the bugs forum. As such I'm moving this to suggestions because that seems the best fit (based on what you've written in the OP).

patoka

Quote from: Calahan on January 29, 2018, 02:32:23 PM
I can't see anywhere in the text where you are reporting a bug(s). So I don't understand why you are posting this in the bugs forum. As such I'm moving this to suggestions because that seems the best fit (based on what you've written in the OP).
i fail to see a suggestion. seems to me like a complaint more than anything else. isnt there a complaint topic for crybabies that gets ignored by ludeon? if not, this is a good thread to start the topic with.
surely you dont need to rebutcher corpses that you already half butchered if you leave the table to smoke a joint real quick?