Why must you eat off the floor?

Started by milon, June 20, 2014, 07:42:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

milon

I know this is a really simple problem, but it's got me rather stumped.  My colonists sit on chairs with their meals, only they face away from the table and put their food on the ground, then complain about eating off the floor.  I typically build long tables, but it happens with short tables too.  I normally use the chair as the stockpile, but I've also tried using the table itself and even the normal stockpile. It keeps happening.  I actually think it's been happening all along, but I didn't care about it until the penalty was introduced.  What am I doing wrong?

Crimsonknight3

Quote from: milon on June 20, 2014, 07:42:47 AM
I know this is a really simple problem, but it's got me rather stumped.  My colonists sit on chairs with their meals, only they face away from the table and put their food on the ground, then complain about eating off the floor.  I typically build long tables, but it happens with short tables too.  I normally use the chair as the stockpile, but I've also tried using the table itself and even the normal stockpile. It keeps happening.  I actually think it's been happening all along, but I didn't care about it until the penalty was introduced.  What am I doing wrong?

Just have your food stockpile near the table and chairs, they will take the food to the table and sit down, also you need to make sure you orientate the chair the right way round so it is facing the table, trust me it will work :) For example if you have a nutrient paste dispenser, they will pick up food, take it to the dispenser then walk to the nearest chair and sit down to eat, so if its facing a table they will eat off the table :)

laston

They always sit correctly in the chair... probably the facing...

milon

Chairs have a facing?  Derp de derp  :-[

Yeah, I knew it must be something blindingly obvious.  I never even considered that chairs could rotate.  I'll try it next time I'm playing, and if that doesn't fix it I'll post again.  I'm confident that this will fix it though.

Thanks!

StorymasterQ

Isn't there a way to code items to automatically orientate to another item? I'm certain some hoppers in some mod are automatically oriented so that the business end always point to the correct place, as long as it's placed afterwards.

Couldn't (shouldn't) chairs have the same code, just to make it easier for newbies? I knew from the get go that chairs have facing, but I do have weak eyes and sometimes I have trouble figuring out said facing.
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here