Ammo types?

Started by LordBloodpool, August 31, 2014, 08:04:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghandhi

StorymasterQ it was Mahamata Gandhi not Ghandhi :)

RawCode you are treating game like it SHOULD be minimalistic. Games aren't strict things. I think RimWorld should have some aspects that player can, but is not needed to use. One of these are mags. Like this: 1 player will create ordinary mags and he won't need to think about other ones, but the 2nd player will invest some his time into making better ammo and countering enemy forces. Let's say each colonist will have weapon and a magazine list with the limit. Lead bullets can be simplified to the shrapnel and burn effect like you said. The shrapnel effects occurs when the bullets hit the body, the burn effect can become worse if it won't be operated for a longer period of time.

StorymasterQ

Quote from: Ghandhi on September 03, 2014, 08:01:22 PM
StorymasterQ it was Mahamata Gandhi not Ghandhi :)

Oh, sorry, I thought it was another Mahatma. :D

Quote from: Ghandhi on September 03, 2014, 08:01:22 PM
RawCode you are treating game like it SHOULD be minimalistic. Games aren't strict things. I think RimWorld should have some aspects that player can, but is not needed to use. One of these are mags. Like this: 1 player will create ordinary mags and he won't need to think about other ones, but the 2nd player will invest some his time into making better ammo and countering enemy forces. Let's say each colonist will have weapon and a magazine list with the limit. Lead bullets can be simplified to the shrapnel and burn effect like you said. The shrapnel effects occurs when the bullets hit the body, the burn effect can become worse if it won't be operated for a longer period of time.

Personally, I also think the game ought to be minimalistic. Or at least not be too, too realistic. Having so many things to do just so that you can shoot at things is taking time away from doing other things like growing crops. Tynan wanted the game to focus on only a few colonists so that emergent stories can arise. Dwarf Fortress has many many many dwarves each doing their own thing to support another. In that game, that works. But in Rimworld, I'm not so sure. It's not like we get a wave of immigrants every so often.
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

ChrisW

While I'm a fan of detail usually, I would be fine with keeping this simple.
Could just have differrent guns do differrent stuff. Shotgun A would fire shrapnel (shorter range, targeting bonus), Shotgun B would fire slugs (longer range, no aim bonus). Shotgun C could be researched or found or whatever and would fire bean bags (short range and no aim bonus). Same for other stun types, why not just make a taser kind pistol, or other very short range stun type club weapons? Doesn't have to be magazine types. Why not just be like "oh, Enfield ammo works better against soft targets, while M-24 ammo is thought for armored stuff and pierces rather than destroys tissue?" Could be that simple.
Check out my Shooting Range in my Western Town to catch some ideas ;)

(Pics updated 3rd of Sept. 14)

Xerberus86

i have to admit that i disagree with this suggestion too, admittedly i thought about suggesting ammo as a resource and MAYBE some kinds of ammo but the problem is, that we need guns with unlimited ammo which aiming, colldown and releod time are simulated instead of having actual ammo to worry about. this wouldn't add very much to the game and would actually hinder the gameplay to certain degrees.