More 'user friendly' hunting AI

Started by iSagan, January 06, 2015, 06:37:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iSagan

For me, as a new player, hunting is a gamble. I've had many people injured, some of which were visitors from stray bullets during hunting. I've had 2 colonists die instantly from a head shot on top of that. Another REALLY dodgy thing is if they have just left their room (or are near a building in general) they can sit there shooting at the wall as a Squirrel sits still for waaay to long and that don't even move.

I have tried countering it by going on draft but almost every time it will cancel their automation and they will run off trying to kill something else on the other side of the map.

I'm not exactly sure how this can be fixed but I just left my computer running for about 5 minutes AS my hunter started shooting at something and I came back to see the wall he kept hitting simply gave way. It's just annoyingly 'techy' that can have compounding effects to gameplay. Not only does my guy sit there wasting time breaking my base and relationships, which means he's worth more food than he produces in a day... I have to spend the additional time making amends for the stray bullets. Sometimes its very minor, sometimes its a days worth project to repair and sometimes it wounds my relationships with other factions which seems to me is almost irreversible damage.

Johnny Masters

That's a well documented issue/fact. Just limit yourself to 1-2 hunters who can actually shoot and make them use snipers, also hunting outside your busiest areas. Don't set too many marks at once and if you are hunting near your town you should be microing

TrashMan

OR...bruiser with a longsword as hunter.

Or in my case, a chainsword.
RUN YOU ANIMALS, RUN!
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!
SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

Johnny Masters

Ehhh... I don't trust this game's melee system yet. You never know when one of those squirrels might wake up feeling like it's in a monty python movie and fill your colonists health table with silly bites.

Solanus

Quote from: Johnny Masters on January 07, 2015, 09:01:55 AM
Ehhh... I don't trust this game's melee system yet. You never know when one of those squirrels might wake up feeling like it's in a monty python movie and fill your colonists health table with silly bites.
"That Boomrat is dynamite!"

Matthiasagreen

I find shotguns to be the best weapon for hunting. It is strong, but requires them to get close, minimizing the chance of someone being in the way.
Hi, my name is Matthias and I am a Rimworld Addict. It has been five seconds since my last fix...

Scotty

Quote from: Johnny Masters on January 07, 2015, 09:01:55 AM
Prepare the holy hand grenade