"Surgeons can now operate using herbal or glitterworld medicine."

Started by Reolos, February 05, 2015, 10:16:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reolos

Thanks Tynan. My question is then, what is the difference now between medicine types? Is it just chance of success and ease of obtainability? Herbal 20%, Regular 40%, Glitterworld 60%, something like that?

Shinzy

I'm sure the only difference is just matter of life and death =P
"There is now a chance that surgeries will fail, either in a minor way or catastrophically, and controlled by medical skill."

milon

Too bad there's no non-catastrophic ways to train Medicine

Prisons & Herbal medicine FTW!!

Tynan

Quote from: Shinzy on February 05, 2015, 10:48:34 AM
"There is now a chance that surgeries will fail, either in a minor way or catastrophically, and controlled by medical skill."

Pretty much that. The medicine effectiveness is actually in the stats for you to peruse.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

mumblemumble

Great to know Tynan, seeing as how medicine was non-renewable (via growing I mean) this was actually a HUGE headache paired with the new medical system. Even if formal medicine is better, it would be nice to still be able to TRY to get things done with herbal medicine, seeing as how if you don't have packaged meds now, you simply cannot do some things IIRC
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

kic

Awesome addition. I'm looking forward to see how this'll play out in a variety of scenarios (I'm looking at you, specifically, organ harvesting).

Lord Fappington

Quote from: Tynan on February 05, 2015, 04:36:23 PM

Pretty much that. The medicine effectiveness is actually in the stats for you to peruse.
It's also be nice if there was higher chance of infection or injury of poor medicine, no medicine or poor medicine skill.  Just like combat, it shouldn't be a given that nothing bad should come from surgery/medical care.

ZestyLemons

Quote from: Lord Fappington on February 05, 2015, 05:45:45 PM
Quote from: Tynan on February 05, 2015, 04:36:23 PM

It's also be nice if there was higher chance of infection or injury of poor medicine, no medicine or poor medicine skill.  Just like combat, it shouldn't be a given that nothing bad should come from surgery/medical care.

There effectively is, your chance to treat injuries well is lower with worse medicine (meaning more poorly treated stuff, meaning more chance of getting infections and stuff).
Help out with the wiki!

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Divaya/
Wiki: http://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/User:Zesty

Feel free to contact me about wiki questions or wiki admin stuff.

Boboid

I'm not sure that's actually currently the case Zesty.

I'm reasonably sure that any wound that's treated sufficiently quickly cannot become infected regardless of the medicine used, even when no medicine is used. The same goes for Scars on most bodyparts ( The exceptions being bodyparts that immediately scar upon damage, eyes for example)

Poorly treated wounds heal more slowly, and attempting to heal wounds without medicine can take a very long time, but it's fairly safe.
Apart from when it takes so long to treat a wound without medicine that it gets infected.
A prison yard is certainly a slightly more elegant solution to Cabin Fever than mine...

I just chop their legs off... legless prisoners don't suffer cabin fever

eregorn

Quote from: Boboid on February 05, 2015, 08:47:48 PM
I'm not sure that's actually currently the case Zesty.

I'm reasonably sure that any wound that's treated sufficiently quickly cannot become infected regardless of the medicine used, even when no medicine is used. The same goes for Scars on most bodyparts ( The exceptions being bodyparts that immediately scar upon damage, eyes for example)

Poorly treated wounds heal more slowly, and attempting to heal wounds without medicine can take a very long time, but it's fairly safe.
Apart from when it takes so long to treat a wound without medicine that it gets infected.

Don't wounds have the ability to be infected even when treated? I'm pretty sure I've had colonists (mostly prisoners though) that got infected when the wound was not completely healed yet.

This does feel like something leaning towards making colonies harder to maintain in my eyes though, large colonies tend to build up more injuries in fights so having multiple low-skilled medics tended to be necessary if you didn't want the medics keel over mid-treatment. Small colonies on the other can have issues if the dedicated medic is wounded, gotta be scary when next best only has a skill of 3.

Edit: whoops thought the suggestion was an actual change, I'm ok with the actual change.

Edit2: also realized you do realize they do get infected, just not often. Still, I'm certain infections happen frequently enough to be an issue (mostly prisoners of course where they're mostly just an annoyance, but when you do get unlucky to get a colonist take too long to get healed the lost productivity can hurt a lot depending on their job).

200Down

They do on poor quality treatments for sure. See it often.
Can't remember if I've had it happen on good quality or not but guessing there's still a slim chance.
I actually do use the higher quality hospital beds quite often now days + Maximum priority on "patient" so they go to get treatment asap.
Does seem to cut way back on infections. Only had 1 dude die from infection and that's because I didn't have anyone on doctoring(patient priority was higher than doctoring and everyone was hurt at the same time. Easy way to wipe out your colony I guess haha.)

Sorenzo

It's true that poorly treated wounds can still get infected.

There's a lot of (bad) luck involved. You have to balance a lot of stuff after a battle - I usually end up having doctors who are themselves hurt (I assume reduced manipulation will eventually lead to negative outcomes, as well as low skill). The colonists who aren't doctors then have to treat the doctors. Then prisoners might get their turn, and they certainly don't get fancy medicine, if any. I've been sad to see reasonably useful prisoners die to getting three infections at a time due to simple bad luck. Yet another reason to pummel them to unconsciousness instead of shooting them a dozen times, I guess... Fists seem to cause unconsciousness faster than gunshots?

I've seen people have literally 15 gunshots, or more, before dying. Meanwhile, someone I captured might have 6-10 bruises. I wonder what the stats are for that... Although I guess it's off topic.

I really endorse a more risky medical system. It's kinda silly that I let some shmuck with 2 medical skill replace my best gunman's eyes. Also, if the game properly scales danger to your colony size, losing a few men is part of the game. I was very surprised that a colony where half the colonists had gotten killed by raiders stayed viable. Might've even helped, since my growing period was all of two months and the time was around August.  ;D

mew_the_pinkmin

so seeing as how it doent matter what kind of meds are used with surgery shouldnt we be able to make hospital beds with all kinds as well because thats all i use the med kits for(ecept for the times my colinists get there legs shot off) and it would be nice to not have to wait for the cheep one from combat supires to make a proper med bay.
NoBadOrganThoughts        BigBatteries        PlantSaver