Random Landing Site Option

Started by Vexare, February 07, 2015, 07:42:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vexare

Hi there,

After playing through a couple of test games and having a blast, I have a small list of things I think would make this already awesome game even more awesomer.

My main wish right now is for the option to randomly generate the landing site after I've created the world map. While I also like the ability to choose exactly where I want to try and build, I think it would be a lot of fun to leave it up to chance where my colonists crash which is pretty much what would have happened in the scenario anyways.

The game AI should keep it to actually viable locations (nothing in the middle of the ocean unless you are going to make floating or underwater colonies an option haha) and you could maybe get the option to choose a hard, medium or easy location to help narrow it down a bit but other then that it should be a complete surprise where you land.

I like Randomly Randy - lets give him some more random with the map too. ;)

FridayBiology

Yes another god damn youtuber.
 https://www.youtube.com/user/FridayBiology

Argon

loc978

While we wait for the possibility of this idea getting picked up... [MOD] ( Alpha 8 ) EdB Scenarios has you covered. For extra randomness, you can tell it to randomize the starting month, too (lately I've been doing that with the "crash landing" scenario).

200Down

+1

Also:
Select your metals
Select your temp range
Select your preferred hill range: flat-small hills-mountains or whatever
Basically rip some more things straight for DF because.. it works  8)

Xyno

Start new colony -> random colony, everything random and nothing select-able what you what your self, let the game decide <3

Vexare

Quote from: loc978 on February 08, 2015, 01:44:01 PM
While we wait for the possibility of this idea getting picked up... [MOD] ( Alpha 8 ) EdB Scenarios has you covered. For extra randomness, you can tell it to randomize the starting month, too (lately I've been doing that with the "crash landing" scenario).

This is fantastic, thanks for the suggestion! I've not played around with mods yet in this game but was a huge mod addict in games like Fallout and Skyrim and the Sims.

I'm still plugging away at a semi-random game I created to tell a story but then I'm going to give the Scenario mod a try. Looks like it has three options that are all interesting twists on the vanilla start and could really change the way you play. Def. something I think Tynan should implement too. :)

*Edit: You know what's really cool about RimWorld? I've played tons of hours and had a blast and realize now that straight out of the box it's very solid and doesn't *need* mods. That's amazing. Tynan you're a genius.

OpposingForces

trust me it didn't start that way. but it's getting there. i like the idea of just picking random spot when making a new colony. it's be nice if by picking that you also didn't get to re roll colonists.
No one can hear you scream in space. But the Raiders get a chuckle from you screaming while a boomrat eats you.

Kagemusha

+1 all the way.
I always want a random start and twitch my mouse around with my eyes closed and stop on a location...this is not an elegant system :P

I think randomizing a smaller section should be how it runs. We have minimal 'retrothrusters' on the crash pod and can select a crash site within a few blocks of a chosen grid point.

Vexare

Quote from: OpposingForces on February 08, 2015, 05:20:27 PM
trust me it didn't start that way. but it's getting there. i like the idea of just picking random spot when making a new colony. it's be nice if by picking that you also didn't get to re roll colonists.

Oh I'm painfully aware of how rough games can start out in Alpha phases. I really wish they'd change the name of the Steam "Early Access" system to "Concept Game Testing" or something because Early Access has just misled people into thinking they're buying a nearly finished product and man a lot of those games are just real stinkers that should not have ever gotten greenlit until they were more finished. This game is great and more of what I expect from buying in early (To me it's more Beta pre-release phase). Sure it's missing some things and has some bugs but it's a really solid game that's better than most I've tried recently.

But hey I went way off topic here!

The idea of a random start is definitely appealing with this game because of how rich the RPG factor is with the great character profiles and infinite possibilities of combinations of personalities creating detailed stories that are never the same with any one playthrough. This appeals to me so much.

Vexare

Quote from: Kagemusha on February 08, 2015, 07:43:33 PM
+1 all the way.
I always want a random start and twitch my mouse around with my eyes closed and stop on a location...this is not an elegant system :P

I think randomizing a smaller section should be how it runs. We have minimal 'retrothrusters' on the crash pod and can select a crash site within a few blocks of a chosen grid point.

Haha that's great about the random mouse twitching. I thought about doing that but I knew I already could just go up or down and hit ice or not ice because I already knew where they were generally.

For this playthrough I'm doing now - which is my first attempt at Randy Random (wow talk about insane) - I let my 5 year old pick the spot while I wasn't looking. Amazingly he put me in such a perfect spot I couldn't have done better by scouring the map myself to find it haha. He's about as random as it gets and I thoroughly expected to be somewhere on the ice plateaus.

Kegereneku

Ever since I heard about this game, I've been thinking that ultimately it was all about the Narration AI "making a good story". And a good story start with unexpected odds.

So, what if said "option" was another storytelling AI ?
"Sam Starfall joined your colony"
"Sam Starfall left your colony with all your valuable"
-------
Write an Event
[Story] Write an ending ! (endless included)
[Story] Imagine a Storyteller !