Story Teller Ideas

Started by Epik3YearOld, January 08, 2014, 02:06:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Epik3YearOld

I came up with an idea for two new story tellers: I'd like a depressing story teller and an intense story teller.

The depressing story teller wants your crew to die, but will do it in a lengthy and depressing way. This would be like waiting until all your crops have nearly grown, then killing them off with blight repeatedly, or constantly keep all your crew in the dark, forcing them to work in the dark and eat raw food, and giving them that final push to insanity.

The intense story teller wants an exciting story, but doesn't want your whole crew to die. He makes dramatic battles and exciting circumstances based on the strength and size of your crew, so they will be intense and long but wont necessarily spell doom for your crew.
Useless and possibly funny text goes here

Galileus

A stroyteller that "wants your crew to die" is a complete no-no. Maybe as a mod or an option on existing storyteller, sure. "Unfair mode" or "unforgiving mode", where storyteller balances challenge this 0.1% above expected maximum that can be beaten. Or just slap a x5 multiplier to AI's results and be done with it.

Depressing storyteller is... eeeeh, I guess this may be interesting idea, but I would wait till we have much more stuff to work with to draw the first sketch. Because this first sketch - no offence - sounds more like "Watching Paint Dry Storyteller". The funny thing with suspense is, that suspense needs to end. You need relief.  You need to get relaxed, so that next suspenseful moment can get you by surprise... or by not getting you. Another wonderful thing with suspense (and jump-scares, btw), that once established they are the strongest when not present. You know they are coming, you expect them, but every time your guess at where they'll be turns out wrong you feel a bit less secure and a bit less prepared for when they indeed come.

Otherwise you end up with a drying paint.

"Intense" storyteller sounds just like current hard mode. And no, it's not aimed to be a doom for you. It's aimed to be hard, and it's this challenge that creates the feeling of intensity and epic...ness...ity... thingy. Take that away, and you have large and long, but otherwise boring and one-sided battles. This is why games have difficulty levels in the first place - old games did not have all that "epic story!" about some space-station terrorism and other utter bullcrap, so they had to build connection by the challenge they presented. But as it can be easily imagined - too easy or too hard games led to either boredom or frustration - not to satisfaction.

Untrustedlife

I personally Love rogue-likes that kill you off quickly and often.
Because it means the next time you play you come back and survive better.

Rimworld feels like that right now.
And i love that feeling.
And the whole "Losing is fun" aspect of games like dwarf fortress.

However
A storyteller that tries to create a feeling of hopelessness and kills you no matter what you do seems like a storyteller no one would use in my opinion.Even in dwarf fortress you could theorhetically kill that megabeast or kill all the demons in the world.

And, the intense one could be done. It would be interesting..but basically the same as "tough kassandra classic" is right now.

So, I actually agree with Galileus in this case.
Sorry OP, probably not gonna happen.
So dwarf fortress in space eh?
I love it.
I love it so much.
Please keep it that way.

Hey Guys, Here is the first succession Game of rim world for your reading Pleasure, it is in progress right now

LINK