[0.8.657] No audio if PC use slept/hibernated. [USB/HDMI audio]

Started by Mussels, February 08, 2015, 12:59:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mussels

This one will surely only affect a small minority of players, but i've found that using HDMI or USB audio (or just audio with hotplug detection) can cause a loss of sound after using standby or hibernate.

Quitting the game and starting it again immediately fixes the issue.

In other games that have suffered this issue, changing between audio modes or soundcard outputs in-game has fixed it, but rimworld has no such options. Any chance a 'reset audio' option could be added in, even in the dev/cheat options?

Coenmcj

That sounds like more of a hardware issue, does this happen with other programs or audio hardware that use the regular audio jacks?
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

Mussels

it can happen to other programs, but not many.

That said, a lot more people use laptops and portable tablets these days, which means sleep issues may crop up more often - worth sharing the information, even if its low priority for a fix (if a fix is even possible)

200Down

It's the stinkin usb crap... Never buy them. Happens with mine allllll the time in this game and a few others with a usb headset. 

Coenmcj

Aye, they could happen alot more often. Personally using laptop & a Tablet, But havn't ever had the things shut down while I'm on a program.
Sounds like it would have a simple fix though, an off/on feature would easily suffice, should fix this problem and a few others that could happen down the line.
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

Mussels

Quote from: 200Down on February 09, 2015, 12:10:04 AM
It's the stinkin usb crap... Never buy them. Happens with mine allllll the time in this game and a few others with a usb headset.

I'm getting it with HDMI audio primarily - anything 'hotplug' where the status may have changed while the game was idle/asleep can do it.

In my case my HDTV that i use for a screen has a sensor that turns the TV off if theres no movement for 10 minutes - so i can walk out of the room, come back in and the TV has turned itself off, and i've got 50/50 odds of having no game audio when it wakes up.

Using sleep mode the problem is 9/10 times no audio, which is why i focused there (as my TV's auto-sleep feature is slightly less common)

200Down

Never had issues with hdmi but then again I've yet to use it with pc. Well that suuucks if that's your only source of vid man lol.

gmastern

Something similar happens to me when my computer hibernates. When I reload the computer Rimworld won't respond, and I have to restart the program.
"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind... unless Tynan adds in prosthetics."
-Ghandi

tommytom

For USB audio devices (which I perfer of 3.5mm since I have speakers as well and don't want to buy a sound card), I always disabled "USB selective sleep" as that generally messes with programs/games that require the sound device be active at all times and can't reinitialize them.

As far as HDMI, I have no idea. Do you seriously use your monitor's speakers? If so, that's horrible. Use 3.5mm speakers in onboard audio or a USB headset.

Mussels

i run my desktop and my laptop into my 46" HDTV, which has external speakers. its something of a nightmare to run multiple inputs for audio and switch between them constantly, so everything goes into the TV, then out into the sound system.

tommytom

Well, depends on your budget, but I would think an amplifier were in order if you don't already have one. Just run HDMI to the amplifier for video and put analog RCA cables into input for TV as well. There should be an option to prioritize analog over HDMI digital signal in most amplifiers.

Switch amplifier to TV and you should get HDMI video to TV and analog audio to receiver. Would require a 3.5mm to RCA adapter though. Cheap. Assuming you would send audio out via 3.5mm.

Tynan

Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog