Do you think Steel ore should be Iron ore instead?

Started by Vas, February 08, 2015, 02:07:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you rather the game use the realism of iron ore, or the questionable steel ore?

Iron Ore
Steel Ore

Vas

I would like to see Steel renamed to Iron throughout the game.  My reason, should be fairly obvious.  Iron ore is realistic, and logical.  It is also used to make steel.  However, people have been told that steel is the only metal on this planet and the explanation is that "it is an ancient crashed ship building".  This is not accurate on so many levels, and makes the game highly questionable to the realist.

So I was hoping the community might also agree and hope to see Steel renamed to Iron and Iron to be smelt-able into steel with the current game smelter.  Steel is a strong metal, stronger than Iron.  It shouldn't be used as a base for everything.

I just looked it up and found that all types of steel are less conductive than Iron.  So not only are you using poor conductors of electricity in the game, but you're digging up old parts of space ships with hand tools to build your stuff with?

Anyway.  I'm hoping to get enough votes from the community to show a good opinion of what the community thinks.
So cast your votes!

Iron Ore: The main metal used in making many things, including steel.  Abundant on many many worlds and moons and asteroids.

Steel Ore: Man made metal, the game's explanation is that ships crashed a previous civilization built structures randomly all over the planet to place this man made metal within mountains and other random locations billions of years ago..

If you want an alternate vote tool, try http://strawpoll.me/4471638/
Click to see my steam. I'm a lazy modder who takes long breaks and everyone seems to hate.

skullywag

remove ore from at least the steel option. Also its "Compacted steel" to be accurate. The "handtools" remark, i dont see an issue here, why would mining ore be any different to mining rock that has formed around hunks of metal?

Personally I like that this isnt minecraft or any other multitude of games trying to do that production chain (its had its day imo). So my vote is Compacted steel.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

200Down

Yep or at the very least;
Mountains and hills should contain only rock types
Crashed ships and old abandoned buildings could contain metals

It's just very odd the way it is now. And yes I'm very aware of the "lore" behind it but it still feels just wrong  :)

Vas

Skullywag, minecraft used science to determine some metals.  They didn't just decide "iron will be everywhere" just because it's the first metal that popped into their head.  In The Matrix.  The machines were digging a tunnel.  They hit a patch of IRON ore.  Not "compacted steel".  Steel is much more dense than Iron, and made of several things, not just Iron.  Every game I've seen that lets you craft stuff, uses Iron as a base, because it's logical, and reasonable.

If steel is left in the game, you are saying that Iron doesn't exist in the universe.  But ok.  Lets go with your version.  We now have to change the way steel spawns around the map.  You aren't allowed to find it in large chunks anymore.  It has to be the general shape of a ship, and it needs to be made more difficult to mine, because you're now using a steel tool to hit the steel hull of a ship, even if it is an ancient ship.  Lets also make steel objects extremely strong, because obviously this metal is going to withstand a lot.  It should be stronger than all things in the game except Depleted Uranium.  Uranium is in the game, just not depleted.  Bullets are soft lead, and wouldn't even dent a steel wall.

Steel also has a high melting point, conduits can't just explode anymore.  They have to electrify the walls so anyone who touches them is electrocuted to death.  No more exploding fireballs of stupidness!
Click to see my steam. I'm a lazy modder who takes long breaks and everyone seems to hate.

200Down

Quote from: Vas on February 08, 2015, 02:38:45 PM
It has to be the general shape of a ship, and it needs to be made more difficult to mine, because you're now using a steel tool to hit the steel hull of a ship, even if it is an ancient ship. 

There you go, they already use "torches" for the machining tables anyways. Already a viable method in the game(well, better than "mining" steel). And it doesn't have to be a ship.... any object made of steel would work. Not sure about a "steel" ship now that I think about it haha. Would be a much more advanced material.

ItchyFlea

This is from the games files regarding the steel you can mine:
<description>The remains of some ancient, collapsed structure. Rich in steel.</description>
All my mods are licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International
Ask for permission before using in ModPacks

Click here for a list of the mods I've created

OpposingForces

the only ores are gold and silver. both compacted steel and compacted plaststeel are supposed to be the remains of ancient structures and / or ships. though i do like the idea of more mineable ores.
No one can hear you scream in space. But the Raiders get a chuckle from you screaming while a boomrat eats you.

200Down

Quote from: ItchyFlea on February 08, 2015, 03:30:47 PM
This is from the games files regarding the steel you can mine:
<description>The remains of some ancient, collapsed structure. Rich in steel.</description>

Guess I never really read it but an argument still remains......, why isn't that "steel" found in slag junks or something that needs smelting?

I think the whole thing is simply the fact that peeps would like to "work" to get steel and it currently doesn't act like steel. You know... weaker than stone etc..  Hell, maybe the stone walls just need the nerf bat. Might help with some of the issues.

skullywag

Vas im not arguing that you dont have a valid point, infact im not arguing at all, its simply an opinion. What you seem to be forgetting is that its an alpha, Iron could be coming as could other metals, it all depends on Tyans roadmap, for all we know he may have major plans for adding iron. So until we either know that roadmap or we hear from Tynan the topic of what it should be is moot as it has been the other umpteen times its been discussed, as is a poll on it....unless as stated Tynan states that iron isnt coming and this is the end state of this particular part of the game, at that point this thread would have merit imo.

Dont mean to offend or sound rude, just stating what its in my head.

Vas

Anyway.  When something like this is changed, and changed for too long, people get used to it, and cling to it.  I want it changed before people cling to it.  That's why I'm trying to get it changed now.  I'm planning on a mod that adds lots of new resources at some point.  I just need someone's help making it.  I tend to do my own mods cause I tend not to like the balance other people do with theirs.  Like I do with Space Engineers, trying to keep it as realistic as possible.

200Down

Quote from: Vas on February 08, 2015, 04:32:00 PM
200, I think he was replying to me.  :P

Anyway.  When something like this is changed, and changed for too long, people get used to it, and cling to it.  I want it changed before people cling to it.  That's why I'm trying to get it changed now.  I'm planning on a mod that adds lots of new resources at some point.  I just need someone's help making it.  I tend to do my own mods cause I tend not to like the balance other people do with theirs.  Like I do with Space Engineers, trying to keep it as realistic as possible.

Yep just noticed that lolz.. deleted
And yea, I never thought of  people settling into an idea. Interesting way of looking at it I guess.
I already use someone's mod that adds more ore "steps". It's not quite completely fleshed out yet but it works fine. Maybe that's yours?

Ironvos

I'd certainly like to see a distinction between iron and steel, as i've done it in my mod.
But it does require careful implementation.
Rimworld currently is a simplified game.
Adding too many things could complicate things unnecessarily.

For example, while making my mod, i first intended to let mining drop ores.
However i soon found out that this has a bad effect on the game's pace.
Rimworld isn't that fluent at setting up automation and production since everything is pretty much initiated by pawn actions.

Also, you have to think about what significance a certain change actually has on the gameplay value.
Does it matter much if you have to melt everything down first before you can use it?
If it's something unavoidable, then it usually will make things feel tedious.

So i think in the current framework of the game, iron & steel can be done, however mining ores seems like a step too far for now.

Vas

200Down; Link it.  :P  I do have one mod out right now that changes steel into iron but it's not quite 100% totally complete cause I  can't change the terrain generator at all.

Ironvos.  I'm not talking about making more things.  I'm talking about simply renaming Steel, into Iron.  A simple change for realism's sake.  That way, if someone wants, they can make a mod that adds steel, and steel type objects.  Stronger metals.  Iron is more of a base metal, found in every planet, in every moon, and in most asteroids.  It just makes more sense.

200Down

Looking through the mod list it's ether.....

Nu Metals
or
Stonecutting Tweak

I think it's Nu Metals.. I haven't updated my mods for ages because .. well they worked well enough and only took a few balance tweaks here and there to just not bother :)

EDIT: It's funny that you should mention modding because that's pretty much the entire reason I tried this game out.  I was thinking wow... with Prison Architect's visuals(no animation work) this thing could be endlessly modded eventually.

skullywag

Just a point, it can be endlessly modded now. The joy of being able to add your own dlls. ;)