Inspiration for RimWorld music

Started by Dr. Z, February 08, 2015, 04:07:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Z

You may want to search on Youtube for Ewan Dobson. He has amazing skills with the guitar and I think his style of music could fit perfectly in RimWorld.
Prasie the Squirrel!

Szymanski

I definitely agree! I'm a big fan of Ewan Dobson, love his stuff!

Coenmcj

Only managed to load a snippet of a video before my internet crashed and burned back to the stone age.
But I must agree, he's Cool.
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

Tynan

Thank you for the pointer; I'll pass it along to Alistair (our musician).
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Patrykbono20

Maybe some inpiration from Kill Bill in moment when raiders attack ?? :)
Very nice music

200Down

The music is already pretty dang amazing.  Props to your composer.. deserves a soundtrack. You guys don't think it's that good? I must be getting old .. maybe we need some "new aged pop" or something now days  ::)

JonoRig

I don't know (after all its all personal opinion) but I'm more a fan of the frontier/firefly feel, the stuff we already got, more music may not be bad when used correctly, like it is now, but for me, not a big fan of the ewan Dobson, especially for this game, but each to their own :P

Mystic

Quote from: JonoRig on February 09, 2015, 10:52:30 AM
I don't know (after all its all personal opinion) but I'm more a fan of the frontier/firefly feel, the stuff we already got, more music may not be bad when used correctly, like it is now, but for me, not a big fan of the ewan Dobson, especially for this game, but each to their own :P

+1 to this.  I wasn't familiar with Dobson before now, and just listened to a number of his songs now.  He's certainly got chops, but I find the music to be pretty bland and uniformly very, very staccato ... like an acoustic version of music from an old cheesy video game.  I certainly wouldn't want to hear stuff like this in Rimworld, and especially not as a replacement for the lovely, atmospheric "Firefly-ish" vibe that we have now.

If anyone wants to hear acoustic guitar chops combined with compelling songs, I'd recommend the music of Antoine Dufour, Andy McKee and of course the late but eternal Michael Hedges.

200Down

ok someone's gotta fill me in. Starting to feel like I missed some kinda gaming era or something by not knowing what firefly is. Name is sure brought up alot around here so it must be something special :)

Mystic

Quote from: 200Down on February 09, 2015, 02:32:21 PM
ok someone's gotta fill me in. Starting to feel like I missed some kinda gaming era or something by not knowing what firefly is. Name is sure brought up alot around here so it must be something special :)

Joss Whedon's TV series "Firefly", and subsequent movie "Serenity".  If you really haven't been exposed to this before, I highly recommend that you make it a point to get exposed ... I suspect you'll thank me later.

BoogieMan

One of the first things I noticed when playing this game for the first time was how much I liked the music.

milon

Quote from: Mystic on February 09, 2015, 02:36:00 PM
Quote from: 200Down on February 09, 2015, 02:32:21 PM

Joss Whedon's TV series "Firefly", and subsequent movie "Serenity".  If you really haven't been exposed to this before, I highly recommend that you make it a point to get exposed ... I suspect you'll thank me later.

In brief, Western + Sci-Fi = Firefly, and RimWorld does derive a certain amount of inspiration from it.

Dr. Z

Well you don't have to put his music one-to-one in the game and I surely don't want to replace RimWorlds soundtrack as it's one of the best in the industry, but I think especially for the tense combat situations some music of his style could fit in perfectly. This tracks would have to be made and edited to fit in RimWorlds soundtrack repertoire of course, I thought that would be obvious.
Prasie the Squirrel!

200Down

Only thing I was thinkin was maybe some sounds for movement needed to be added. Maybe not the humans unless it was real diluted(lack of a better word) sound but for the mechanoids it just doesn't seem quite right with no movement sounds :) Plus there are a few mods rattling around in my head that wouldn't be right without them.