Steam release when game goes into alpha 9?

Started by Bob Freeman, February 08, 2015, 06:01:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Freeman

Just asking but does anyone know if this will be going onto steam when alpha 9 is released?

:D

Kagemusha

QuoteWhen is RimWorld coming out on Steam?
-When it's ready. There's no anticipated release date. It is greenlit, though, so it will be on Steam - some day.

From the FAQ.

The only person who knows when it will be put on Steam is Tynan and as of now this is what he knows. The rest of us know less.

Coenmcj

Kagemusha has nailed that there, Steam will be arriving when it arrives. Which if it was coming soon, I'd imagine that Tynan would have something about it in the Change log. as it requires changing of aspects of code to make it compatible with the System.
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

TheSilencedScream

Yeah, it likely won't be anytime soon, as fortunate/unfortunate as some believe.
Quote from: Topper on August 31, 2015, 03:33:25 AM
is the sledgehammer compatible with the romance mod?
Only in Rimworld.

porcupine

Given the changelog hasn't included any new features in awhile, I assume Alpha 9 is about to emerge...

TheSilencedScream

He's still working through bug reports from the testing, but assuming all goes well, I'm hoping it'll be out by the end of the month. In another Gen Discussion thread, several people were wagering for March.

There's been no official word, yet, though - so Tynan may just be bug crushing before moving on to new features.
Only in Rimworld.

porcupine

Quote from: TheSilencedScream on February 09, 2015, 02:09:51 AM
He's still working through bug reports from the testing, but assuming all goes well, I'm hoping it'll be out by the end of the month. In another Gen Discussion thread, several people were wagering for March.

There's been no official word, yet, though - so Tynan may just be bug crushing before moving on to new features.

Three weeks of bug crushing, and no new features?  I doubt it, Tynan isn't that slow.

Jaxxa

New features can still be added, they will just in an Alpha 10 branch while more testing is going on and bugs are fixed in the alpha 9 branch simultaneously.

StorymasterQ

I do recall Tynan saying that A9 would probably be predominantly bug fixing instead of awesome new features.
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

200Down

Just think, he could release it on steam. Quadruple the forum size, requests, complaints, and grey hairs. Nope, can't think of a single reason why it wouldn't be on steam before beta.  ;)

RickyMartini

Quote from: 200Down on February 10, 2015, 05:07:58 PM
Just think, he could release it on steam. Quadruple the forum size, requests, complaints, and grey hairs. Nope, can't think of a single reason why it wouldn't be on steam before beta.  ;)

Yeah but beta is qoing to take more than just a few months, probably not even this year.

200Down

Well then I guess that depends on his lifestyle to eh. He may be able to get enough advert from youtube alone if the right people get ahold of it. Should last awhile. And he's been careful about not hiring it all out for more than a few reasons I'm sure. 200k sure aint what it was 30 years ago.

TheSilencedScream

Quote from: Skissor on February 10, 2015, 05:10:04 PM

Yeah but beta is qoing to take more than just a few months, probably not even this year.

Depends on Tynan's thoughts. According to him, the game has enough content for release, so it could be tomorrow, if that's suddenly what he wakes up wanting to do.

I disagree with his sentiment - I think it's a fantastic game, but I would expect more content before shelling out $30 for it. I purchased early because I believe that this could become one of the greatest indie games ever released, and it's disappointing that he believes it's okay to fall short (granted he said that he could still continue supporting it with content - but for $30, I still think it's currently short).

But, point is, he's of the mindset that the game is ready to come out of alpha at any point now, that "Alpha x-number" is pretty much just a term.
Only in Rimworld.

RickyMartini

I'd have to agree I don't like the idea of this game in beta and on Steam. It wouldn't have problems getting good ratings though. Considered some other betas that didn't bring what they promised on steam, RimWorld would be pretty decent compared to it.

200Down

Quote from: TheSilencedScream on February 10, 2015, 06:32:22 PM
Quote from: Skissor on February 10, 2015, 05:10:04 PM

Depends on Tynan's thoughts. According to him, the game has enough content for release, so it could be tomorrow, if that's suddenly what he wakes up wanting to do.

I disagree with his sentiment - I think it's a fantastic game, but I would expect more content before shelling out $30 for it. I purchased early because I believe that this could become one of the greatest indie games ever released, and it's disappointing that he believes it's okay to fall short (granted he said that he could still continue supporting it with content - but for $30, I still think it's currently short).

But, point is, he's of the mindset that the game is ready to come out of alpha at any point now, that "Alpha x-number" is pretty much just a term.

Wow glad I missed that. Woulda went on a hella rant about nowhere near fleshed out enough. Then again I guess as long as all the foundation you need is there, there's nothing from stopping addition content while it's beta. That's what too many "pats on the back" will do to ya I guess. Knock that crap off guys! It aint there yet  >:(