Question about name rejection

Started by Cysterion, February 09, 2015, 05:15:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cysterion

So I submitted my name as Quinn "Qtip" Huettner after myself. That's my real name along with my nickname that people call me. I am wondering why it was rejected even though there are some much more ridiculous names currently in the game?

Ykara

Qtip is a weird nickname, I couldn't take a colonist named Qtip serious. Think about that again, Quinn Huettner is definitely okay.

StorymasterQ

Try "Q-tip" or maybe "Que-tip". Because if I'm not an English native user...waitaminute, I'm not. Anyway, a less experienced English user would probably read "Qtip" as "Chtip", which would be quite ridiculous.
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

Ykara

Q-Tips are the soft things you can clean your ears with, I don't think the spelling is the problem ^^

StorymasterQ

Yes, I know. The issue is that inexperienced English user would probably need the dash to read it as "cue tip" and not "chtip".
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

Ykara

Would you like a colonist named Toothbrush, Underwear or  Toilet Brush? I don't think so. That's the problem, not how to read it. I also don't understand why anyone could read it "Chtip". I think Crysterion should just change the nick to something more serious. Maybe just Quinn, or Huetty or something like that. If people call you Qtip and you don't have a problem with it it's fine, but admit it, it's a weird nick ^^

jimoc

Qtip is a registered trademark so would get people in trouble if used in the game without the trademark holders permission.
Sounds ridiculous I know, but trademark legislation basically says if you dont actively persue infringers then you lose your trademark.

akiceabear

Quote from: jimoc on February 10, 2015, 10:37:50 AM
Qtip is a registered trademark so would get people in trouble if used in the game without the trademark holders permission.
Sounds ridiculous I know, but trademark legislation basically says if you dont actively persue infringers then you lose your trademark.

This.

Szymanski

Quote from: jimoc on February 10, 2015, 10:37:50 AM

Yup!

Cysterion

Yea I suppose you guys are right, I was just hoping I could use my real nickname. The one thing that kind of is confusing is that in a fictional game we are worried about reality of nicknames but real nicknames people have are rejected. I understand its Tynan's prerogative but just find it interesting. But I dont make the game so whatever.

Silvador

Quote from: Ykara on February 10, 2015, 03:41:34 AMWould you like a colonist named Toothbrush, Underwear or  Toilet Brush?

Actually, I, personally, would laugh my backside off and thoroughly enjoy having a random colonist join my group with a name like "Toothbrush". XD

"I hail from a clan of tribesmen far to the north. I am Toothbrush, son of Toothpaste and rightful heir to the Plains of Water Cooler! Can I join your colony?"

StorymasterQ

"And this is my steed, Toothless."

I'd crap my pants right then and there.