[REQUEST] Improved Trade Beacon

Started by Giraffe, February 09, 2015, 10:59:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Giraffe

After a while the trade ships just don't come in fast enough, and despite vanilla's attempts at getting rid of clothing and weapons, I still find that trading often does the trick instead. But there's a small problem:
http://imgur.com/Bdi4l9S
Still, piles upon piles of clothes and weapons everywhere. What I'd like to see is a trade beacon that does a "Replace all trade ships" just like the debugging command, but requires an absurd amount of energy (like 3000 to 5000) in one burst with a cooldown(of like 2-3 days) which hails other trade ships. Also research required would be a good idea.

Rock5

So you are saying you use a burst of energy to force a signal further and call a trade ship. Not a bad idea. It should probably have a chance of failure. I see a problem with "burst of energy". I only use batteries in the beginning. End game I don't have any batteries so no stored energy. I'm not sure what else you could use as a cost. Maybe using so much power fries your electrics for a short period of time. You could simulate it by using a short period solar flare effect.

I don't know how difficult these things would be to do but I agree it would be great to be able to force trader communications late in the game.
Rock5 [B18] Mods
- Butchers Can Count Meat
- Sun Lamp Planner
- JTZoneButtons
- RimSearch
- JTExport

Giraffe

Well that's the thing, I figured you'd have to shut off your turrets and stoves etc to reserve power in order to use it.

Also-- you're forgetting that if you're being solar flared you can't trade anyway :P

I think just increasing the energy required for a few minutes would produce the same sort of costly effect while still enabling you to use the Comms console to trade, also a good way of making it a sort of mid-game item as I'm oftentimes not using more than one geo till then.

Rock5

I didn't think of the comms console losing power.

QuoteI think just increasing the energy required for a few minutes would produce the same sort of costly effect
That sounds good. Although you don't want someone with a lot of power calling traders too much so the cooldown is a good idea.
Rock5 [B18] Mods
- Sun Lamp Planner
- JTZoneButtons
- RimSearch
- JTExport

Giraffe

Exactly. Even if the cooldown is as absurd as an ingame month or something it would still be useful. 14 days flies by when you're 2+ years running.

Rock5

I don't think it should be absurd. I think while playing you need to note what seems like a long time between traders and make it less. I think your first idea of 2-3 days sounds about right although you would probably have to test it to see if it felt balanced.
Rock5 [B18] Mods
- Sun Lamp Planner
- JTZoneButtons
- RimSearch
- JTExport

ManWithNoName

I tried that apparello mod, it did my head in with the amount of work i had to do to sell it all, i even ended up letting some accidentally catch on fire.

I also turned it off due to the amount of silver i gained more items = more silver = easy game as you can buy just about everything.

Giraffe

If you think that apparello makes getting silver easy you've obviously never had a godlike crafter. Getting rich in this game is easy regardless.

ManWithNoName

Your right getting silver in the game is easy even without the apperello mod, you just sell parka's you dont need and other clothing items and guns you will never use lol the market needs to be changed a little i feel but that is my opinion.

Crafting, i rarely do other than blocks, cremating etc. I have only built sculptures in one game so far lol

Giraffe

Artists are okay for making money, but blacksmithing longswords is where the real vanilla cash comes in. I'm talking an empire built solely upon legendary steel longswords. Big money.

ManWithNoName

Yeh never built any weapons dont see the point honestly, at the moment im just messing about in artic temperatures, well trying to when i play.

Should add, no wood areas o.O

mrofa

Got a comms unit that gets traders or raiders or drops or nothing in clutter;p
All i do is clutter all around.

Giraffe

Quote from: mrofa on February 11, 2015, 09:48:49 AM
That is a super awesome idea! Like a chance for the Trade Beacon to accidentally hail pirates! Ha! that's so awesome man, good thinkin'

Jacksidious

Quote from: Giraffe on February 11, 2015, 01:28:49 PM
Quote from: mrofa on February 11, 2015, 09:48:49 AM
That is a super awesome idea! Like a chance for the Trade Beacon to accidentally hail pirates! Ha! that's so awesome man, good thinkin'

He's trying to say there is already one in the Clutter mod. Exactly what you are looking for and what he was talking about  :)