Got the answer to the "Which colonist does what job" thing

Started by Listy, February 10, 2015, 10:18:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Listy

One of the massive annoyances is having one really good crafter making tone blocks while your skill level 4 crafter is crafting crappy swords.
Lots of people have asked for a way to control this to avoid wasting resources. At the moment the only way I can find to do it is to shut down all crafting apart from the one you want done and then have only your good crafter on the job. But this is impossible to maintain.

Today while grinding my teeth in annoyance while watching a skill level 4 crafter mangling a plasteel longsword, while my Level 19 crafter was making a (undoubtedly exquisite) cowboy hat it suddenly struck me how to get around the issue, simply and with the current UI.

Have a minimum skill level requirement for a job in the bill config window.

In the past people have tended to look at the problem as forcing the crafter into the slot. It occurred to me that the problem isn't who is doing it, but that the person doing the job isn't going to waste precious resources. And the way to check that is by skill level.

Phos Hilaron

That seems like a pretty cool idea! I like this a lot better than having separate crafting skills.

Listy

Quote from: Phos Hilaron on February 11, 2015, 01:39:18 AM
That seems like a pretty cool idea! I like this a lot better than having separate crafting skills.

The other thing I forgot to mention is: this check is already in game. Some bills have a minimum requirement already. This is just an optional minimum

BetaSpectre

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

200Down

Good thinkin. It's already set up to use it to. I mean literally already being used in some mods. So it's there and working. Maybe it just got left out because you'd be limited heavily by the types of skills you would be forced to start with. He didn't want to have us cramping our fingers on the random button when choosing starting pawns . I mean come on now. The dude is even thinking of our finger's well being. Can't ask for more than that.  :)

Maybe an alternate option would simply be adding priorities on all crafting tables. Which leaves your options a bit more explorable yet. Would need to use in conjunction with job priorities but it's not limiting you so much. Just a thought.

Don't read that crap. I misunderstood the post. It'll give you bad bad thoughts or worse  :)  Just keep reading below.

Bitharne

This just came up with something in the A9 test...and yes, I was looking around and min requirements (meals) are already in. So allowing us to set our own min requirement for a bill would be simply amazing.

200Down

Wow, I completely misunderstood the entire post.  ::) I thought you meant just having arbitrary skill limits on every craft-able item type. Like literally limiting you to only doing something if your dudes meet or accede that level. I apologize.

And yes that is a wonderful idea.

skullywag

It makes sense, YOU create the bill, why shouldnt you be allowed to define the skill level needed. I like the idea.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Vexare

I too like this idea as it seems like a simple addition to an already existing check (skill required to cook fine meals) as mentioned.

I just had this same situation start with my oldest / longest played colony and I agree it's annoying and other than resetting crafting every day they get up to start again, there's not much you can do about it.

Daemoneyes

I still would prefer being able to assign jobs to certain people but i guess this would be a good alternative if the other way is to resource heavy.

Listy

Quote from: Daemoneyes on February 13, 2015, 10:48:07 PM
I still would prefer being able to assign jobs to certain people but i guess this would be a good alternative if the other way is to resource heavy.

What does it matter who does it, as long as they have the required skill to do the job?

200Down

Quote from: Listy on February 14, 2015, 10:44:41 AM
Quote from: Daemoneyes on February 13, 2015, 10:48:07 PM

What does it matter who does it, as long as they have the required skill to do the job?

Yea, plus min-skill bills would be a bit more versatile. You could arrange just about anything you want with a bit of personal-skill priority management mixed in. Although having both would be even better.

milon

+1, I really like this idea!  The proposed solution would work really well for me.  (Pretty please, Tynan?)

Listy

Quote from: milon on February 15, 2015, 02:53:09 PM
+1, I really like this idea!  The proposed solution would work really well for me.  (Pretty please, Tynan?)

Glad everyone likes the idea, so how do we flag it to Tynan?

Wex

There's only one little problem with your 19 skill crafter STILL doing granite blocks and no one creating plasteel statues, but it could be manually detoured.
I like this idea.
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
    Harlan Ellison